1998 Chrysler Sebring JXI engine issue, help!?

YmeHP

Nov 13, 2010
Hello,

I recently purchased the convertible at an auto auction and got took. I would like to get it running again and fairly well. Anyways after paying for it I went to get in it and of course it wouldn't start. I figured they had put a junk battery in it so I went home and got the trailer. I got home charged the battery and all it would do is turn over and not fire. So I went onto check the spark plugs and upon inspection each plug hole was filled with oil. I noticed the oil seemed to be an unusual color so I pulled the dipstick and gave it smell. Well the oil smells like gas! Is there any fix to my problem? if so, where do I start?

-Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you two problems. Something is leaking into the crankcase from the fuel system , and your valve cover gaskets are leaking which is getting the oil/gas mixture all over your spark plugs and spark wires. Possible causes for the fuel leak are a leaking or stuck open fuel injector or a leaking/faulty fuel pressure regulator.

The oil in the spark plug holes is from leaking gaskets. The gas in the oil is probably from it being flooded repeatedly when somebody was trying to start it, or a lot of blow-by from a worn out engine, or both. Check your compression first, then see if you have any spark, then check for fuel pressure.

just want to add one thing , change the oil before you try to start it, i had an old car that something went wrong and it filled the crankcase with gas , i messed with it for a week then took it in , they changed the oil and it ran great till it got crashed , never did find out how the gas got in the crankcase

Im gonna say what they said. Sounds like it. I hope you didnt pay to horribly much for it.

Back