2001 Zafira coolant loss no puddles or smoke?

Patric

Feb 17, 2013
I Have recently purchased a 2001 Vauxhall Zafira with the y20dth engine, I have had to fill the coolant system 3 times in the last couple of weeks and today I drove about 40 miles after filling it again, when I arrived home the expansion tank was pretty much empty although there was still some coolant left. The vehicle smokes a little a bit when cold which I would expect as she is a diesel, but once warm after about 5-10 minutes the emissions are invisible, she doesn't over heat, no puddles are left and the carpets seem to be dry, so I'm hoping this means the head gasket and matrix are fine but there appears to be a little sign of oil in the expansion tank and water mixed with oil under the filler cap, and as I was stripping the air intake system for cleaning noticed what appears to be a little watery oil in the mass air intake to turbo pipe plus a lot of gunk in the breather pipe, I am going to bypass the oil cooler tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone else has had these symptoms before and it turned out to be something else, also if I the bypassing the cooler on this model could cause damage if it is only temporarily till I can get a replacement cooler.

Thanks in advance for any help Patric

Back