2008 Toyota Corolla 15,000K service really worth $600?

dtrini868

Sep 8, 2008
I purchased my corolla from a dealership and was given the "Free Tires for Life" package under the pretense that I must maintain my car at their dealership and follow their maintenance schedule.

I have done the research and "Mother Toyota" only requires the following:
1. Oil and Filter change
2. Rotate Tires
3. Tighten drive shaft bolt (whatever that means)
4. Visual inspects

However the dealer requires, in addition to the list above:

1. Wheel alignment
2. Throttle service
3. Fuel Injector service
4. Change of spark plugs
5. Change engine air filter
6. Check value caps
5. And a bunch of other minute items, such as change wipers, etc.

All of these requirements comes to the dealer price of $600 for their 15K service.

Now this doesn't seem to make any scene to me, as to why all of these are required by the dealership at a mere 15k miles, when the manufacturer does not require it.

I'm wondering if I should simply forfeit the "Free Tires for Life" and simply stick to getting the "Mother Toyota's" requirements done for around $50.00/ $60.00. Thus, saving me over $500. Or should I continue following the dealer maintenance schedule and spend the $600 today and all other 15K miles interval, in addition to $50 every every 15k miles interval, just to keep the "Free Tires for Life".

To me it seems like a rip off, but what are your views and advice?

Have questioned them about this. I would have a fit. When we purchased our new ford F-150 in 2005 we bought the extra service package for about $2,000. We are now at the point that I take it in every 5,000 miles. If it cost us $600 each visit the dealership would be getting a really bad deal and I don't think that most places would screw themselves like that. It sounds like you are getting ripped off to me. Talk to them about this and then go price tires for your car. If it works out to less then $600 dollars every 15k mile (40k per set is the standard for new tires) which I am sure it will, I would tell them you are just going to give up the tires for something more affordable

have you ever noticed ,How many ads today there product is FREE ! WHEN EVER YOU HEAR THAT YOU KNOW YOU are being lied to. A cardealer wouldnt walk acoss the street to pour a warm soda on you if you were on fire, unless you paid them for it.--At 15000 you do not need 1,2,3,4 plugs in new cars go 50 k miles min.,5 go to auto zone 10 bucks,6 dont know what that is, and the second # 5 is just a bunch of stuff to make list longer. those free tires will prob. cost you 600$ each at least. Then they put they will put the cheapest ones on , or you can up grade for some more $. Your BS alarm went off for good reason. and the want you pay for this50$ .How did you keep from laughing, and you know the car slezman that sold you the car got extra commission if he could suck you in to this . ITS FREE! ITS FREE!

Back