89 nissan 4x4, not the daytime running lights module?

Marcel

Aug 17, 2008
Hello, a few days ago I put up a question about my daytime running lights going in and out, my battery light on, and I thought it was a short or something. I apprecite the pointers that it might be my drl unit, I myself noticed it was not firing when it was supposed to. But I got a new unit and it did nothing for the problem. So I started just unplugging things to see if I could locate it that way. On the alternator there is the negative screw terminal, positive screw terminal covered with a rubber cap, and a plug with two wires. The two wire plug is a thick white wire and a yellow wire with black lines. When I unplug that the relay kicks in and everything works normal, except it looks as though the charging might not be. I think the yellow wire with the black lines is the bad guy. This goes through the drl module (new one), the firewall, and through the dash over to the instrument pannel ending at the battery light. My question.. What else is that wire hooked to after it comes out of the drl unit? I cut the wire after the drl, and just ran a spare over to where it ends up at the dash light, and it seems to be fine. When I again connect the piece of that wire that goes through the fire wall into the dash, the drl goes off again. My other question is what volts should the alternator be putting out? I tested straight off the leads and it's giving me 12.15. Seemed weak. Is there a unit that regulates that?
Sorry this is so long, I'd really like to understand what is going on here.
Thanks for the answeres the other day, and thanks ahead of time for this one..

Marcel

Back