98 Honda Accord, won't start w/o giving it gas and will shut off unless you keep...

indianguy

Apr 28, 2008
You need a new fuel pump. The fuel pump is only flowing if there is pressure placed on it which means it needs to be replaced. IDT this repair is too expensive.

...your foot on gas. Expensive? The battery terminals seem a bit corroded, but it starts when I give it gas, but as soon as I take my foot off the gas the car stalls. Any ideas what it could be and how expensive it would be to have it repaired? I know I need a new car eventually and I'm just seeing if it's worth staving off the inevitable. Thanks!

before getting a fuel pump, change ur fuel fiter.
9 times out of ten this is the problem.
If that doesn't do it, then start thinking fuel pump

Start with the small things first.

is your check engine light on? it could be emissions
if so get it checked my mechanic; they have a device they plug up to your cars computer that tells them what part is bad.
(example: ECU or idle intake valve)

if your light isnt on then check small stuff. PCV valve (very cheap) , make sure you have aclean air filter.
Change your fuel filter.

If those things dont seem to be the issue i would consult a mechanic bc it is either a fuel pump or a vacuum line issue.

Most likely it isnt going to be expensive. But you need someone to properly diagnosis it. Like i said start with the small stuff first.

One way or another, your engine isn't getting enough gas to keep itself running at idle speeds. Here are a few things that could cause this and how to fix them:

Bad fuel pump- replace fuel pump

clogged fuel filter-replace fuel filter

clogged fuel injectors - run fuel injector cleaner in the gas for a few tanks, or have fuel injectors cleaned out by a mechanic

None of these repairs is terribly expensive, so they are probably worth it, a 10 year old Honda is still a good car that probably has a lot of miles left in it.

Back