A-Rod mends fences with David Ortiz after squashing steroid beef

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
7ac41900-ebe8-11e5-8a81-7de1ed5e5423_AP_13040301196.jpg
Alex Rodriguez and David Ortiz have long been two of baseball's most polarizing figures. It's a distinction they've shared and perhaps even bonded over as their careers have progressed. However, until recently, their longtime friendship had reportedly become every bit as distant as the opinions of those who love and hate them.
The reported rift began in January 2014 when Joseph Tacopina, A-Rod's attorney, not-so-subtly pointed the finger at David Ortiz when asked about steroids in baseball. His quote, to be exact: “I’m not going to start naming all the other players, but some of them are God-like in Boston right now.”
[2016 Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is open for business. Sign up now]
Even casual baseball fans know the implications behind those words. Obviously, they did not sit well with Ortiz's camp, and just that quickly a friendship that was born as minor leaguers in the Seattle Mariners system threatened to become a rivalry on par with the teams they represent, the Yankees and Red Sox.
In the end though, the feud was defined more by silence than intensity, at least based on what was known by the public. And according to Scott Lauber of ESPN Boston, even the silence has ended now as the two were spotted having a cordial discussion before Tuesday's spring game in Fort Myers.
For the first time in more than two years, Ortiz and Rodriguez spoke to each other, Rodriguez confirmed, before the New York Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox 6-3 in a spring training game Tuesday night. The sluggers ran into each other in an indoor batting cage at JetBlue Park, embraced and had a brief conversation.
"I spoke to him today," Rodriguez told ESPN.com when asked whether he felt a need to reach out to Ortiz, who plans to retire after this season. "I'm happy for him. He's in a good place."
A-Rod has been more laid back and happy-go-lucky since his return to baseball last season. A far cry from the scorched-earth approach that defined his legal battles against the league and left a lot of hard feelings in its wake. It's an approach that seems to be working quite well. A-Rod has successfully mended fences with his teammates and with most Yankees fans, and has been very well received by his peers. Perhaps more so than even he expected.
With that in mind, Ortiz attempted to downplay his beef with A-Rod even before the two met on Tuesday.
"I have always gotten along with everyone," Ortiz told ESPN. "I've never harmed anybody, not even those who have tried to do me harm. It's not my problem. I will always love and respect Alex, because that is who I am, that's in my nature. I'm a big bear. I give affection to everyone."
[Elsewhere: Barry Bonds schooled the Marlins in a home run contest]
Now that A-Rod has reached out, it's safe to say they officially buired the hatchet and are ready to move on.
"I love Big Papi," Rodriguez would add later. "I have a lot of respect for him. I think he's been an incredible ambassador for the game. I'm looking forward to him leaving the game at a height -- and for him to leave the game. He's crushed us over the years."
The longtime friends may never have the relationship they once did, but it's better and healthier than holding on to a grudge and bitterness. Regardless of how you feel about the two men on a personal level, it's nice to see them take that step.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813

Back