Anyone speak welsh?

BWAhahahahaHAAAAA
"I am not presently in the office. Please send any work to be translated"

now, these bilingual signs... i'm curious. is there anyone who can read welsh, but not read english?

No.

The Welsh are trying to reinforce their identity so all the signs are becoming half Welsh. I say trying they are one of the most patriotic nations I know, only now they have control over their country. Unfortunatly not every Welsh person speaks Welsh yet. Just need some work here now.

Funilly enough I'm just making caul!

Dim siarad Cymraeg, pam?

As an Englishman who lived in West Wales for a few years it paid to learn a little

At least in the pub I knew when I was being called a 'mochim saes'.

Of course 'mynd cnychu dafad' was a must as a retort

Lol, you do all realise this is a joke right, the Welsh language is a myth, the Irish have Leprechauns, the Scots have Haggis hunting and the Welsh have the Welsh language. Some people are so gullible.

while I applaud the sentiment, 'cer i gael rhyw gyda dafad' would be a better translation. While 'cnychu' is the correct word, I've never heard it used.

Not that any of it will be any use after I've launched the jihad. Ya Hya Chouhada!

I feel cheated. I was taught the right Welsh, but it was wrong. Cunning indeed.

Don't they speak a different kind of Welsh in each village?

I've also heard that above a certain Latitude the Welsh turn into Gogs! Those a little further North are termed 'Scouse', which of course have the strongest Northern Welsh accent.

I met a very old farmer in rural Noth Wales some years ago - really interesting guy, with hands like shovels, who told us about a standing stone that had been taken away by the government during the War - for what Quatermass type reason, he did not know.

He could speak English, but was hesitant and had to constantly ask his daughter for the English translation of a word he'd forgotten. There was no doubt Welsh was his first language!

Those signs are funny - especially the long ones - by the time you've scanned over the Welsh for 'Warning, bridge broken in half ahead, don't continue or you'll fall off...' you're already past the sign, wondering what it might have said...

North West Wales is very Welsh, North East is very English with as you say an almost dirty scouse/Welsh accent on the coast, turning more Welsh the further inland you get.

And another one..........

The "cyclists dismount" sign between Penarth and Cardiff became "llid y bledren dymchwelyd" in Welsh - literally "bladder inflaofftopiction upset"

Back