ANZAC Day

johnnyangel

Mar 29, 2008
Those of us in Australia (and NZ) are celebrating ANZAC Day, which commemorates the battle of Gallipoli in WWII. This was the first battle in which Australia as a nation took part in, and is widely regarded as a foundation in creating the Austalian spirit. This is a day when we thank all of those who have served their country during the wars of the 20th-21st century, and in many cases laid down their lives in that service. ANZACs, you have bought nothing but pride and honour to your country and familes in the gallantry and courage that you have shown during war.

R.I.P

THANK YOU

As an American, I'm going to jump on this band wagon to show my respect. In a historical note however, Gallipoli was in WW I when the Australians and New Zealanders fought against the army of the Ottoman Empire in modern day Turkey.

(Just to correct another small detail - the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps was part of the British army at the time of Gallipoli.)

We should all remember the heroism and sacrifices of the ANZACs at Gallipoli an in all the other theatres of the war where they served. Far too many young heroes sacrificed by the idiots in charge.

RIP

LOL!
There is a double sting in effect here...

An Aussie get's corrected on his own history by Yank... a Yank then gets corrected on his history by a Pom.

My hats off to those who fought at Gallipoli.
May they rest in peace.

I'm gonna open up a few questions... having not read much about Gallipoli I recently heard that Winston Churchill was to blame what turned out to be one of the most conspicuous blunders in military history.

You're take on it people?

Nah - I was correcting the OP.

Here here.

In a nutshell: Churchill's plan was sound, but the military brass managed to completely screw it up. (Surprise surprise! )

The navy went a-patrolling off the Gallipoli peninsula for months in advance, giving the Turks a massive clue about what we were up to. So by the time we got round to invading, they had increased their defences from 'token force' to 'shedloads of troops dug in and ready'.

As usual, it was the troops on the ground who paid the price in blood for the Hooray Henrys' bungling incompetance.

Just in case anyone doesn't know it, the song The band Played Waltzing Mathilda by Eric Bogel gives a good soldier's-eye-view of the whole thing.

i saw a documetary on this once, they were dropped in at a point which meant they were open season for the turks.

Back