Are we spoiled?

Haha! Glad it's not me being old, but they ARE actually a ridiculous look on guys!

Dunno about girls, oh I know they're tight and all, but I'm not sure it's the most flattering cut, doesn't allow for any kind of form on the whole, uh, upper leg/lower back area.

okay.. back on topic...

one thing i think is that westerns that havent travelled outside their comfort zone are very spoiled

To my mind spoiled has connotations of always having been given exactly what you want at any given time by authority figures. Which, logically, could be argued to be exactly the case, but is it what you mean or were you thinking of an overwhelming sense of entitlement?

the way some people will refuse to use a toilet in a foreign country cos its dirty.

i guess they cant just accept less and want more?
"an overwhelming sense of entitlement?"

I've lived in Scotland most of my life, in fact, I rarely leave Edinburgh, but my life isn't sheltered in the slightest.

H'mm, if a loo is visibly dirty I admit I'd prefer not to sit on it. When it comes to a slash though anywhere'll do

Well, I guess just the end result of being spoiled (keep stopping myself writing 'spoilt' 'cos it's how I'd say it), people who just believe that whatever the universe gives them they deserve a little more. No gratitude. Whereas while I might be uncomfortable squatting on a manky loo, I am profoundly grateful for all the clean toilets I've had the pleasure of encountering! Actually having spent a year since I qualified trying to find a job, and finally starting one, right now I''m grateful for pretty much everything.

Is the toilet actually dirty, or is it merely perceived as being dirty because of the country it’s in? Because to be honest, I’ve seen some toilets you couldn’t pay me to sit on, hover over, or even stand next to for any extended period of time.

Like Ratty, I find it a bit ironic that some people talk about how 'young people these days' are so entitled.

They're usually exactly the same types who think anything they say shouldn't be contested because of their 'life experience' or 'wisdom'. Never mind that anyone with actual wisdom would realize that it's about the points and logic, not about how old the person conveying them is. If I say the world is round is it not round because I'm 21? Lol. Or they think they are automatically owed respect even in areas they don't know much about.

There's no doubt that the height we set the 'poor' bar at in the western world would still put many of those considered to be in poverty at a similar level of lifestyle as a lower end aristocrat of 100 years ago. So by that measure, sure, we're spoiled, but it's not something I'm going to feel excessively guilty about.

I think so long as you've worked for what you have there's nothing to feel bad about.

If you're an adult maybe. Most children have no income of their own. Therefore they can't actually afford anything.

Pocket money? If you're parents can't spare ten quid because everything they have is tied up in food and rent then I would say you're poor.

£10 for pocket money? I don't think so. I wouldn't give a child £10 for pocket money and it's got nothing to do with affordability. Besides there are costs involved in owning a phone other than the initial purchase.

The phone one is a good one, most kids are expected to have a phone which parents buy and then pay for the useage as well, I know several teenagers who work and yet their parents pay for their phone and petrol and other things. On the other hand I know other teenagers who get jobs early and pay for everything themselves.
A big one would be downloading movies/music/books as a torrent because paying for those things is just stupid, that seems to be the increasingly common view today. People look at me like I am crazy when I hire or buy dvds or blue ray.

I must say the piracy thing is certainly not unique to teh yoofs, at least not in my experience.

In fact, young folk I know seem to do it for personal consumption - the old geezers are the ones into it as an industrial process!

True there, I should have put that more as everyone being spoiled not just young people.

Going back to earlier comments on skills being lost, apparently handwriting is a skill being lost amongst todays kids (tho doctors have never had this skill ). Because they are using laptops throughout school, when it comes time to do the HSC (final year exams) they don't know how to write properly and are having to get training so they can do the exams. Something else schools aren't preparing kids for.

Back