Briefly: Apple updates iMac; Telecom satellite win; Photoshop Elements

Geek

Jun 6, 2008

Apple’s 2013 iMac line-uo
Apple updated its iMac lineup on overnight bumping graphics performance and speeds. The new models make use of the latest generation of Intel chips and wireless networking.All the new iMacs come in versions sporting a quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and can be configured with the faster Core i7 chip. They use the Intel Haswell technology that’s already in the company’s MacBook Air.
According to Apple the new*Nvidia graphics chip is twice is fast as the last generation. It now comes with twice as much memory. The company says the Wi-Fi in the new models is up to three times speedier than before. It now includes 802.11ac support but a new wireless router is needed to get the benefit of this speed.
Apple also says the storage is faster in the new iMacs.
New Zealand prices range from $1999 for the base level 21.5 inch iMac while the top of the line 27 inch model with3.4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 775M is $3099. All models are now on sale in Apple’s New Zealand online store.

• A feather in the cap for Telecom NZ*which will set up and manage an access station for a global satellite broadband network being developed by*British satellite company Inmarsat. The Global Xpress network plans to offer seamless global internet coverage with speeds of 50 Mbps.*Inmarsat says the service can be used by airline passengers and people travelling by land or sea. The contract will see Telecom add a new antenna to its*Warkworth Satellite Earth Station north of Auckland.
  • A link to cloud storage and automatic synching are two of the headline new features in the latest version of Adobe Photoshop Elements. Elements used to be*the consumer version of the company’s heavy-duty photo editing software, but these days it’s pitched as the mobile edition. The software is sold as a download from the Australian online store at AU$129 for a new copy and A$99 for an upgrade.
Bill Bennett on Google+
p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Back