Can my land-lord charge me more rent mid-lease?

norando

Mar 18, 2009
I got a call from my land-lord early on a saturday morning demanding more rent because i have someone staying with me. There are no utilities included in the rent, and this guy is not paying any rent, i'm just trying to help him out while he's finishing up school.
I went back and checked my lease, there is nothing there saying that my rent was based on single-occupancy or that i had to let her know if someone was staying with me. Should i pay the extra rent, or ask for a new lease (that would in turn allow me to legally break lease and find a better apartment)? What are your thoughts?

Landlord can't make you pay more if there isn't anything about it in the lease. There are laws in most areas that govern how many non-related people can live in a household, but I'm sure two isn't over hte limit, wherever you live. Tell you landlord to go pound sand, but make sure you have found a place before you tell him you are moving out.

That is standard practice, for a landlord to charge extra for an additional occupant. The lease names you and no other occupants, correct? The landlord may be within their right to evict even if you can't work it out with them.

That is standard practice, for a landlord to charge extra for an additional occupant. The lease names you and no other occupants, correct? The landlord may be within their right to evict even if you can't work it out with them.

No, she cannot demand you pay more than what is in your lease without drawing up another. Depending on your state, there may be a law that states you have to declare the number of occupants in the house or that you cannot sub-let (meaning let someone else stay there). Check your state code, but tell her she doesn't have the right to ask for more rent mid-lease.

However, whether or not you are planning on renewing with her, you might want to try to resolve this peacably because people ask for references when you rent.

Ask the landlord where it states in the lease that there is extra rent for an extra person. If she can't show it to you, then tell her you're not liable for any extra rent. If she persists tell her you'll have your lawyer review the lease.

Back