Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge Diesel truck?

rapscallion_83

Jun 2, 2008
Ok, i'm looking into buying a diesel pickup. It will be used to tow my Camaro to and from the track, and also will carry a slide in camper (in the bed). I have some knowledge on these trucks but i'm looking for more. I need a reliable ride, with good mileage (who doesn't, right?). The trucks i'm looking at are:

A 1995 Chevy 2500 4x4 and a 1997 Chevy 3500 4x4 with the 6.5L Turbo. -- I've heard good and bad about this engine, depending on years and such. I've owned many chevys, so i know that the drivetrain should be fine, but the 6.5L is the ? mark.

A 1996 Dodge 2500 4x4. I KNOW the Cummins is a rock solid engine, its the rest of the truck that worries me. I know Dodge automatics have a bad rep, and the steering knuckles as well. And maybe other stuff.

Also looking at a Ford with the 7.3L, but cant find a 4x4 at this moment (have looked into solid axle swap).

All trucks are crew cab or at least ext. cab. Unbiased opinions ONLY please! Thanks

Get the dodge I have a 19997 ram 2500 and have nothing but good things to say about it, solid, durable, strong. Excellent truck

I would go with the 97 chevy 3500... a few friends i know have had similar models and they have been very reliable. The fuel milage can get you at times but besides that they're pretty good.

Back