Coffee

Iknow:t

Feb 14, 2008
I bought the parents a coffee mill and some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans for their anniversary. Now it went down a storm, and I have to say it was pretty flippin nice and also quite economical (I was surprised at how much ground coffee you get from a small quantity of beans).

So what is the next step on the coffee road of love?

I can't help but think that buying raw beans is a little *too* risky. Even if they do last longer, I think it's just too easy to screw it up, and maybe too much effort also.

Blue Mountain is supposed to be one of the best around, but what other varieties of bean are supposed to be darn good?

The wife has a Kenwood Chef with the appropriate attachment (the punch line) and would love to know a good bean (another punch line)

I seem to remember that there is significantly more Blue Mountain sold around the World than is actually grown, so be a little bit careful...

Personally I prefer cafetieres to filters so that you get the crema (the "head" on the coffee) which you also get with a proper espresso machine. A decent espresso machine will cost nearly £200+ however , so I've not stumped up for one yet!

My favourite coffee is no longer made, but Sainsbury's do a ground coffee badged as Macchu Picchu which is an acceptable substitute.

The main thing is that coffee must NEVER be made with boiling water. Stop the kettle just as it starts to boil, then wait a good 20 seconds before pouring onto the grounds. If you don't believe me, try a comparison taste test, you'll be amazed at the difference!

Mitch

I made sure by buying an expensive one with pretty decorations

Actually I think the 'rents have one of them, buried in a cupboard somewhere.

What was it?

Ah, a ground coffee. Is it one of their taste the difference range? I've tried all of those but don't remember a macchu picchu one.

I live on green and white tea so I'm used to this

Starbucks.
Then jazz music and Starbucks.
Then iced coffee.

But if you're lucky there are no Starbucks in England. It's highly addictive and a bad habit at $25 per gallon.

you're joking right?

Starbucks breed like ferrets, they're all over the damn place.

Pinkie- see above.

It makes the best espresso you can get, and is cheap and fits in any kitchen.

me too, i hit three jars of fine-blend a week last month and realised it was time to cut back, the heart was getting well jittery so i've banned myself from it for three-months...

oh, am i one bad-tempered SOB until lunctime now

Nope, it's still effectively a filter as I understand it? Is the water forced through under pressure from a pump as in a proper espresso machine (eg Gaggia)? That's the key difference, as I understand it. I'm happy to be corrected though.

The coffee I liked best was Taylors of Harrogates 100% Columbian. The Macchu Picchu one is not a "taste the difference" one, it's just in the normal range they carry. Greenish packet with a picture of, well, guess what on the front?

Mitch

Edit: See the Wiki entry for Espresso: here, note the need for a pump to make it true espresso.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso_machine#Stovetop_espresso_maker

The stove top version is pressure filtered like all espresso- though not at the same psi. I have had all sorts of espresso and still prefer the stove top version- possibly because you can make Turkish coffee as well.

I thought Blue Mountain Jamaica was THE best coffee.
In England that goes for about 4 - 5 times the price of a normal quality bean if I remember right.

Sorry to be unimaginative, but I'd start with quality Columbian and go from there. You just can't go wrong with Columbian.

Moccha (SP?) - Ethiopian coffee if I remember right. Bitter and kind of citrusey. Not really my taste but interesting.

Those two give you a starting point for "rich" flavour (Columbian) and "thin bitter" flavour (Moccha).

Also - you went a good direction with the choice of a mill - apparently this is the best way to prepare coffee, if a little long winded.

Blue Mountain I would describe as kinda "sweet" and a bit more towards Moccha than Columbian (if that makes sense, Moccha being bitter, but anyway) but that's just me.

I prefer a cafetiere, but the filter coffee is also nice. The cafetiere coffee seems a lot stronger and thicker in consistency and is a bit easier to make IMHO.

Also - if you want to acheive the height of flash cofee making you should try a genuine latte - made by first making an espresso then doing about a million other things with loads of wierd equipment. Very long winded and delicious.

So I suppose a decent espresso machine is ya next step - expensive though.

Sorry about the rant - I'm a big real coffee lover.

Ooh, you're an evil temptress! I've been so good with the green tea/water/brandy lately...

Y'see? No crema. It's like in that old film, (No) Crema vs Crema

Seriously, thanks for that Wry, I've been meaning to try a stovetop one for ages and not got round to it.

Mitch

I tell you what, they're all over HERE. I wonder sometimes if there isn't more Starbucks than McDonalds.

But there is a good side to Starbucks. Make that two good sides. One is the smell of coffee. I reaaaaaalllly like it. Second is the babes. No joke, if I was a single guy, I'd be hanging out at Starbucks for the babes. Hot hot hot hot!

Mysore cofe has a rich nutty taste and is very different from the Blue Mountain type. Whittards stock it.

Mysore is only sold as raw green beans in Whittard.

Espresso machines are way out of my range I saw one priced at £700 the other day.

Back