college student wants a dog?

TeT1

Sep 9, 2008
I want to have a dog, but I'll be living alone and will be gone about 6 or 7 hours a day. What would I do with the dog during that time? How does anyone with a job have a dog?

You could crate the dog while you are gone. Once he is done teething and house broke you can let him run loose. I would suggest researching crate training. Puppies require a lot of work so make sure you are making the right decision.

i think its cruel leaving a dog on its own for that length of time. but if you are going to get one, DONT get a puppy, get one that is already house trained.

(thanks for your answer on mine ;)

okay about ur topic:
well a dog needs attention and devotion like anyone else
to have a dog and be gone for 6-7 is not fair to the dog
so i would probably suggest you get a cat, since they like their alone times often or maybe a parakeet/cockatail
those are the ones you can be out for 8 hrs or more
a dog needs time and comittment..
chose your decision wisely
hope i helped

i think its cruel leaving a dog on its own for that length of time. but if you are going to get one, DONT get a puppy, get one that is already house trained.

It's fine to get an ADULT dog (at least 3 years old, but 5+ is best) if you're gone for 6-7 hours a day, especially if it's a large dog. Most 5+ year old large dogs sleep, like, 20 hours a day. There are exceptions of course, but it's easy to tell if a given dog is lazy or not. I can leave my 4-6 year old dogs, who are around 50-60 pounds, alone for 7 hours easily. They sleep on the couch while I'm gone. Being alone for 7 hours doesn't seem to bother them any more than being alone for 30 minutes.

A puppy left alone for 7 hours will turn into an ill-behaved monster who craps all over your house.

But since you're a college student, make sure that you have the resources for a dog and family cooperation and support. A lot of college students get dogs without having much foresight about how their parents may react, and then bad things happen because they aren't totally independent yet.

well you can't leave the dog alone at home......think something else...may b get a parrot or a bird

honestly, and i'm not trying to be rude or anything, but maybe consider getting a hamster or something.... dogs need a lot of love and attention... and especially puppies. being a college student you have a lot of class etc and a whole life ahead of you exploring. perhaps it would be wiser to wait until you are 100% settled?

It's fine to get an ADULT dog (at least 3 years old, but 5+ is best) if you're gone for 6-7 hours a day, especially if it's a large dog. Most 5+ year old large dogs sleep, like, 20 hours a day. There are exceptions of course, but it's easy to tell if a given dog is lazy or not. I can leave my 4-6 year old dogs, who are around 50-60 pounds, alone for 7 hours easily. They sleep on the couch while I'm gone. Being alone for 7 hours doesn't seem to bother them any more than being alone for 30 minutes.

A puppy left alone for 7 hours will turn into an ill-behaved monster who craps all over your house.

But since you're a college student, make sure that you have the resources for a dog and family cooperation and support. A lot of college students get dogs without having much foresight about how their parents may react, and then bad things happen because they aren't totally independent yet.

honestly, and i'm not trying to be rude or anything, but maybe consider getting a hamster or something.... dogs need a lot of love and attention... and especially puppies. being a college student you have a lot of class etc and a whole life ahead of you exploring. perhaps it would be wiser to wait until you are 100% settled?

Back