Connecting to T-Mobile as opposed to T-Mobile/Orange gives me a better...

BenH

May 14, 2008
...signal, how come? Since T-mobile and Orange decided to merge, my phone (an HTC Wildfire) has given me the option to connect to either solely T-Mobile's network or alternatively 'T-Mobile/Orange'. I would have guessed that the latter would give me a better overall signal and coverage by giving me the signal of whichever provider was best in the particular area I'm in at the time.
HTC just released a phone update that allows people to use their phones as a Wi-Fi hotspot to connect PC's to the internet, and I tried this first whilst on the T-Mobile/Orange network, the connection was poor (which I sort of expected from a phone router anyway) and when I ran a speedtest it consistently came back as giving me 0.03 upload and 0.05 download speeds with a ping of 520. I then out of curiosity from the same spot at the same time tried switching over to the T-Mobile only network, ran another speedtest and got whilst I got the same upload speed, I consistently got a download speed of 0.35mbps and a ping of 110.
Obviously the connection still isn't great, but it's useful and whilst it's no big deal I was just wondering how it is possible to find a better connection on a T-Mobile signal than the alternative T-Mobile/Orange signal that should give me the best that either has to offer..?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

P.S: The speedtest used the same server for every test.

Back