Differences in styles of Karate?

jude

Jun 2, 2008
I am talking about the different techniques and fighting methods such as using range and timing or having better physical attributes such as power or speed. What are the differences in training, techniques and philosophies that each dojo teaches. Such styles as Kyokushin, Shotokan, Shorin-ryu, Goju-ryu and Ashihara. (I know Ashihara and Kyokushinkai are full contact).

Any other information is welcomed.

Thank you.
Thanks for that but I also meant to say what would the techniques be in general of those I mentioned, I meant are the focusing on defence as well as offence and if they would normally teach full contact and sparring just from those that you know yourself, but thanks anyway I'm still learning about the vast world of martial arts. Years of practice and study are worth every second.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of styles of karate. To describe the differences between them would be impossible.

You also have to realize that no two dojo or instructors will teach a single style the same way, therefore there will be variations even within a style.

This gets further complicated if you add other martial arts to the mix.

These are generalizations, and can be disregarded at any point.

Goju has deep, stable stances and a lot of hand techniques. Also, Goju people can take punches well.

Kyokushin fighters can take punches well, and have a number of different striking attackes evolving from it's parent style, Shotokan.

Shotokan has too many Kata. Funakoshi was a teacher, and ultimately a kata collector. He'd find a Master in Okinawa who practiced 2 or three kata, and add those kata to Shotokan, his dojo in Tokyo.

Shorin-ryu is the style you can do when you're 95. According to tradition, it is the karate style that causes Okinawans to have the longest lifespan of anyone in the world. (the most "Centurians") It is upright, and straight forward, and Naihanchi is it's central kata.

Ashihara... never heard of it. Is it a new offshoot of Kyokushin... and therefore yet another Japanese branch of Shotokan?

There are other styles as well: Isshinryu manages to do a lot with it's 8 Kata, being founded by one of the last great old Karate Masters in Okinawa. Tang Soo Do (and it's child style with humorously high kicks, Taekwondo) is Shotokan in Korea, with some adjustments to make it more Korean. Of course, after the Japanese occupation ended, after WWII, they cut all ties with Japanese Shotokan. Because of Funakoshi's popularity in the 1930s, Shotokan is the style of Karate that has spawned the most offshoots. An interesting sidebar, in a newspaper it was said Funakoshi (Shotokan's founder, though he never wanted to found a "style," just a dojo in the mainland) killed a huge Russian boxer with one punch, and that sparked the Japanese passion for Shotokan. That story was wrong, as the Karate master who did this feat was Funakoshi's friend and rival from Okinawa, Choki Motobu. Motobu-ryu is far less popular in Japan than it's kata heaven brother, Shotokan, and in a more traditional fashion, focuses on one kata, Naihanchi.

I'm not sure, I think it depends on the personal style of each karate type. A lot of the styles branch off eachother.
For example, I have trained in Shotokan and a sub-style of that called wado-ryu. Wado ryu, especially in the later belts, focusses on using jiu jitsu techniques and style so e.g., more ground work and throws. (although not necessarily the philosophies of jiu jitsu). Shotokan has lower, more secure stances and focusses more on strength and strikes. Shotokan also has different kata to learn to go up in the belts.
It also depends on where you are, for example shotokan in australia would differ to shotokan practised in Japan.
These are the only two types of karate that I've encountered, so I hope someone else can give you information about the other styles. :)

Back