Do I need a mechanic to replace the rear catalytic converter on a 95 subaru legacy

MsLeo

Aug 18, 2008
wagon? The rear catalytic converter on my subaru needs to be replaced, the flanged end that bolts with springs onto the rear front exhaust pipe has completely corroded away. I already have the cat, gaskets, and spring and bolt kit ready for me to pick up. To replace this, is any welding involved or is this something I can do myself? I have replaced alternators, starters, brakes, radiators, etc., I am just having a hard time finding how-to info on this one. Thanks.
To add, I don't live in a state where they have to be registered before being installed or where only mechanics can purchase them, as I said I already have the parts waiting for me to pick up. The only part that is rotted is the converter itself, the connecting pipes are fine, and from all the info I have found it appears that it is just spring-bolted onto the pipe with a gasket in between.

A muffler shop could do it for cheaper then a mechanic shop. It's easy enough to do yourself but the bolts are normally on very very tight. So use lots of WD-40.

The problem is, if you cut out the bad pipes, you may very well leave yourself short of pipe. I don't know where you live, but I would look for a welder for assistance. If you live the US , try your local NAPA dealer.. They have fittings and adapters on hand to make it all fit.

Back