do you know anything about dirt bikes?

Courtneym

May 1, 2008
*what's the difference between a 4 stroke from a 2?
*what does it mean when people say they shift gears, like i know what that is but when you shift up do you go faster or what?
*and when you see the kind of bike (for ex. KLX125, or a CRF150F) what do the numbers mean?
*and whats the diff between R and F?
*i just need to know basically everything.

or a site that has this all on.

<what's the difference between a 4 stroke from a 2?>

A 2-stroke motor burns oil, meaning you have to either pre-mix your gas with 2-stroke oil, or most have a seperate tank that you have to keep filled with oil.

A 4-stroke motor is just like a car - there is motor oil in the engine/transmission, but you just put normal gas in it.

<<*what does it mean when people say they shift gears, like i know what that is but when you shift up do you go faster or what?>>

Shifting gears is a way for the bike to be able to have enough power to take off fast, but still be able to go at high speeds without the engine revving too high.

When you take off, you will be in 1st gear - and the bike will have enough power to pull a wheelie, or take off really fast. Once you get moving, you will hear the engine wind up, so then you shift to 2nd gear, and wind the engine up again, then shift to 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. (it's the same in a car). When you want to slow down, you downshift, and the engine will slow the bike down to keep from wearing your brakes out.

Some dirtbikes (racing bikes) have what is called a 'powerband', meaning that at certain rpm's (revs) it will have a lot of power. More than one person has flipped a dirtbike over in a wheelie by hitting the powerband unexpectedly. This keeps you from having to downshift to get more torque/speed - like when you hit a ramp.

*and when you see the kind of bike (for ex. KLX125, or a CRF150F) what do the numbers mean?

The letters are usually meaningless - just the model #, but the numbers usually relate the CC (cubic centimeters) of the engine - so a KLX125 is most likely a 125cc engine, and a CRF150 is a 150cc engine (slightly bigger).

Most dirtbikes are in the 125-250cc range. The size of the engine usually dictates how much power and speed the bike will have, but some will fool you - because you can squeeze a lot of power out of a small engine (and they are lighter).

*and whats the diff between R and F?

Not sure what you mean. If it is part of the manufacturers model #, it is probably meaningless.

Stick with cheap used bikes while you are getting started - that way when (not if) you drop it, you won't mess up a good bike.

Good luck - and have fun!!

two strokes need oil in the gas 4 strokes don't there's way more to it than that. but that's the quick answer, gears are like a car 1st gear to start and 5th or 6th is top speed. the #'s are the cc, witch is cubic centimeters , witch is the engines displacement. the r usually stands for racing and the f stands for four stroke

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/2-stroke-vs-4-stroke.html

This is a link to your first question but the website itself (if you browse around) should have the answers to all of your questions. My boyfriend owns 2 dirtbikes (one 2-stroke and one 4-stroke) and he actually took 20 minutes to tell me about the differences (I only half listened, I was driving) so I'm not one to try to explain it to anyone else. But people that ride dirt bikes usually know ALL about them so I'm sure there are hundreds of blogs or forums out there for you to find that out.

Additional: One thing that I do remember is that they're going to stop making 2-stroke bikes in 2010 or something. I think they aren't as good for the environment because you mix a gasoline and oil-type substance (may be oil, not sure) and it creates a lot of exhaust. You may not want to take my word as the absolute final say but I think I remembered that correctly.

4 stroke just gas to run, 2 stroke needs a 2 stroke addative to the gas or seperate can.

shifting is just like a car - start in 1st, go throught the gears to gain speed, and slow down the same downshift

125 is the cc of the bike, it is the size of the engine

Your best bet is to go to a dealer and get all the brouchers they have to offer, they are free for the taking and will explain a lot.

two strokes need oil in the gas 4 strokes don't there's way more to it than that. but that's the quick answer, gears are like a car 1st gear to start and 5th or 6th is top speed. the #'s are the cc, witch is cubic centimeters , witch is the engines displacement. the r usually stands for racing and the f stands for four stroke

Back