Do you think celebs give a negative message about voting?

rsv

Aug 29, 2008
I see them wearing obama shirts (if i could vote i'd vote for obama) and i think that a lot of people, especially young people, look at obama as just some cool guy and don't necessarily support his policies and will vote for him anyway. So i guess my question is: do you think celebrities affect votes of young people? Positively or negatively?
Yes i agree. People with the shirts like "obama is my homie" make it seem like they're voting for him just because of his race, which i think makes the wearer look silly. Race and celebrities shouldn't control the way you vote.
Woah! Kid rock said that? Would have never expected that from him. Well said by him.

Celebrities do influence voters but not in large numbers, and they don't really have a platform as some newscasters like Katie Couric and Brian Williams who are supposed to be impartial and fair do. With a lot of celebrities, it is all talk and no show. I do not see anything wrong with their taking sides. For example, Tina Fey is getting excellent ratings for SNL portraying Sarah Palin, and David Letterman is getting a lot of attention for his political comments. It is human nature to do that whether a person is a celebrity or not.

The Kennedys backing Obama is a personal choice, and the Kennedys are known for being a political family whereas entertainers are just that - entertainers. It is a person's responsibility to learn the facts about each candidate and make an educated choice in voting for a Presidential candidate regardless of what the rich and famous are doing to tell you who he/she are voting for.

Well, there are white areas, black areas, and grey areas. This is definitely a grey area.

The celebrities are (mostly) United States Citizens, so they can vote/campaign for whoever they want.

Sadly, sometimes the celebrities supporting a candidate can backfire on said candidate. Honestly, would you vote for anyone being endorsed by an overexposed alcoholic who lives above the law and most likely has no CLUE what the "real" (i.e. middle and lower class) world is like?

I think it's both

Positive because people who are actually influenced by what celebrities do will think it's "Cool to vote"

Negative because these same people might vote for Obama just because the celebrities told them too, no individual research on their part for who they actually agree with more. It might be Obama, it might be McCain, but either way they need to decide for themselves.

The problem is that most of the new voting age youngsters get their political information from MTV and John Stewart, which is very very sad. How biased toward the left can you get. "Ohhh, Pedoody said I should vote for Obama, and since Pedoody is so cool, Im going to." That is the intelligence of most of young voting America today.

Back