Dog Run/ Kennel

Apr 17, 2009
I am looking to move this summer and since I am going to be going back to school and working at the same time, I don't want to leave my dogs out in a backyard by themselves. I have two dogs who make up one brain, but I am afraid that the one brain which they share is exceedingly good at making escapes. I want to build a dog run in the back yard of a rented house to contain them, but I can't figure how to make it dig proof without pouring concrete. Landlords tend to get unhappy when you cement over a good portion of the yard.

Has anyone ever set up a dog kennel or know how to do it without making animal control or a landlord unhappy with me?

Electric fencing works well.
Run the electric fence low to the ground around the parameter of your back yard. When Diggy Dog touches it "ZAP". The dogs soon learn not to go near the fence. There are other control devices which are not so extreme but I have rarely seen them work.

Put up a fence, then get those long, square logs that they use for bordering gardens and such, and put them up against the fence on the inside. It looks tacky, but it works.

Another idea would be to bury cement blocks under the fence.

how about wire netting underneath the kennel (attatched to the frame as with the sides) with a layer of turf or whatever the ground material of the rented yard is over the top.

Back