Finding a personal moment.

Apr 17, 2009
This morning on the train there was a small notebook lying on the floor. Starting from the back there was a list of food, what looked to be a calories list, and then this:

The rest of the notebook was empty.

Somebody left behind a packet of tobacco one sunny afternoon in the park, right on the walkway, I knew it wasn't going to be around long.
But I also noticed nearby was the seating area the owner of the circa. $30 packet was probably sitting, some landscaping and a few bushes nearby for effect.
I mean I smoked, was a bit short of cash right about then and wouldn't have minded someone giving me a packet of tobacco, but that just wasn't the case.
Firstly, Melbourne Uni wasn't too far away so I knew it was probably a student's. Secondly I'm always looking for that little extra something about individuals, pleasantly surprised when I find it.
So I took it over to the seating area and half concealed it in the landscaping, not too much, just enough to not be noticed unless you were specifically searching the area, in case the owner came back.
Like I said I was short of cash, if I did have a packet of tobacco and lost it, been not too far away, I'd probably go back and have a quick but encompassing look before feeling good about writing off the $30. I've distractedly left a packet of $12 smokes sitting at the bar before with money in my wallet, and stepped back to pick them up.

So if someone came back within the next hour or so, they'd have found their packet safe. My good deed was done.

I'd kinda feel funny about someone reading a personal diary-like scribbling. I mean the first thought I'd have after dropping the notebook would be, geez, big deal about the notebook but now someone's going to read a thought intended for myself.
Sorry to put a damper on your good fortune, but I'd probably hand any personal property left on a train to the driver or station official, without looking in it, in case it was important and business related. I don't look into people's personal property because I feel that "democratic space" or the right to privacy is a decision we all make for each other actively for it to exist.
I understand it is the responsibility of station personnel to examine lost property for identification purposes (however not individual citizens).

Sorry mate, the decision about the kind of society you want to live in comes via the rule of thought, word and deed. Others learn how to treat you, and in some cases how to act themselves, by observation: of you doing day to day things.

I feel certain asiatic cultures are a little more politically aware than western ones in this. That's somebody's pain there, respect it and drop it somewhere. Don't post it on a martial arts forum.

It's a small pocket pad, maybe worth 50c at a newsagent, with three pages used. The lady who left it may be slightly alarmed that she had written something personal in it but it is anonamous and I don't think that she would lament the loss of 50cents.

Anyway, we (mate at work) have written a short introduction about it being left on the train at the front then invited anyone who finds it to write something personal in it and leave it again. Both me and the mate have put something in it.

She should be proud that she started a piece of public art... but I fear that the cleaners will just bin it.

Interesting.

A bit of a secret peak into someones world.

I think there is a bit of the voyeuristic tendency in all of us.

thats a really good idea, writing something about your life in it. i just wonder how many people will actually write more stuff in it.

Considering the personal nature of the writing I couldn't help wondering if it was left there on purpose. Even if only "unconsciously". Looks like the writer had a need to unburden themselves in some way.

Wax, you may have started a new craze. Let's hope the cleaners don't get to it first.

It' weird but sometimes what that woman wrote about food is exactly how I feeel. Very odd to see it written down by someone else.

Thats a greaty idea, Id love to be the person finding it once it's filled in. Wonder what kind of weird and wonderful things you'd find in there.

What did you guys write? unless of course it's too personal. Vague it up a little for us.

I don't know what my mate wrote - we kept it private - but I wrote about my sisters birthday and how our dad didn't call her. It was just something on my mind at the time.

Apart from the obvious pain that the person was in, that's a pretty cool idea of yours. I'm half tempted to buy a notebook and start something similar in the cafe in the train station by me. Or on a train. I'm not sure. It's cool though.

Back