'Hard Knocks' recap: J.J. Watt doesn't have off switch and DeAndre Hopkins doesn't li

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Texans head coach Bill O'Brien opened this season's installment of "Hard Knocks" lamenting Houston's poor record and poor standing in the league. It was punctuated with a couple of f-bombs and away we went.
Here are some of the highlights of Episode 1:
• The first time O'Brien got all 90 Texans players in the same room, he quizzed the rookies on the different veterans. When wide receiver Keith Mumphery couldn't identify linebacker Akeem Dent, O'Brien made the point that everyone needs to make it their job to get to know each of their teammates, not just the school they attended.
"Georgia guy," Mumphery mumbled after stumbling on Dent's name.
"Well, he's got a name," O'Brien replied. "I don't give a [expletive] about Georgia. If you haven't figured out already I don't give a [expletive] about Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, Northeast Oklahoma. I care about people."
(Yep, more f-bombs from O'Brien.)
• By the time non-contact practice was underway, rookie linebacker Reshard Cliett looked like a standout player. Unfortunately, he tore his ACL, an injury that HBO captured. O'Brien sat in his office afterward remarking how he "like[d] this kid," particularly his athleticism, and that he wanted him "to be a Texan."
• Superstar J.J. Watt is about that football life, and Tuesday's episode showed it. Watt worked on the blocking sleds and dummies and catching passes until nearly 9 p.m., well after sunset. Of course, all his adoring fans were still there too.
In typical Watt fashion, he stayed past 10 p.m., signing virtually every autograph that was asked for. We've always known that J.J. Watt's a really nice guy, but HBO did a great job of putting that niceness front and center.
• Vince Wilfork playing hoops. Enjoy:
<
VID: 350lb Vince Wilfork is actually a beast at ?! How do you defend a fridge with a jumpshot! http://t.co/DnYM6MQ3SI pic.twitter.com/Vec3tc1Nlw
— NFL Memes (@NFL_Memes) August 11, 2015
• From Day 1 of a three-day joint practice with the Washington Redskins in Richmond, Va., it was apparent that the intensity would be high.
DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans' projected No. 1 wide receiver, and star cornerback DeAngelo Hall got into it after Hall taunted Hopkins over a drop and tapped him on the chest. Hopkins was taken aback and wasn't going to let Hall run his mouth without him jawing back.
By Day 3, tensions hit a boiling point. Besides the fact that it was raining, both sides were getting into it with each other. HBO highlighted Pierre Garcon jawing at Texans defenders saying, "I do whatever the [expletive] I wanna do," followed by players on the Texans' sideline remarking that Garcon is notorious for his brash behavior, dating back to his days with the Indianapolis Colts.
By the end of the day, a number of small fights broke out, resulting in one big battle royal with fists flying from members of both teams in a widely reported incident. HBO ended the episode appropriately, with Texans cornerback Kareem Jackson and a teammate wanting to* "get the [expletive] out of Richmond."

Back