Help me find the correct DC socket?

TheWalster

Mar 21, 2009
I'm building a project that requires a 12v power supply that will draw around 8 amps continuously. I've found a suitable power adaptor that has a standard 5.5/2.5mm dc plug but I'm struggling to find a suitable panel mounting socket to match.

I've checked many suppliers websites including RS components, Maplin, Ebay and several smaller components stores and the highest rated 2.5mm dc socket I can find is 5 amps. Now for short term use I could probably get away with this, but as I'm looking at a continuous 12v 8 amp minimum draw for several hours at a time I figure I need a 10 amp rated socket to be safe. The trouble is I can't seem to find one.

Can anybody point me in the way of a UK supplier that might stock what I need?

As there are several suppliers providing 12v 10 amp power adaptors with a 5.5/2.5mm male plug fitted as standard I'm assuming you must be able to purchase a corresponding socket from somewhere.

Thanks
The project is an LED lighting setup. It will be housed in a shallow box and needs to be portable. A cigarette lighter socket would be too large for my needs, hence why I'd like to stick with the supplied 5.5/2.5mm plug. If so many suppliers sell 10 amp adaptors with these plugs fitted surely there must be a socket out there to match, I just can't find it.

Back