Help with house that does not have air vent for dryer please help...?

AustinLamb

Nov 2, 2011
So I just bought a house and it has the washer and dryer hook up in the garage and there is no air vent for the dryer to go outside. Can someone please advise me of what to do. Is there something that I can buy to catch the lint or whatever because I don't want my whole garage ending up with lint everywhere. Please let me know if there is something I can buy and if possible provide me with a link to check it out. Thank you so much.

For now go with the nylon stocking and keep the garage door open to help with the moisture until you can have a handyman hook the vent up the right way for you.No big deal a few weeks or more isn't going to harm nothing.

Dryer exhaust should never be vented indoors due to the risk of dryer fires and toxic byproducts from fabric softeners.

You should be able to buy a dryer vent kit at Home Depot or Lowes for under $30, and cut a small hole in the garage wall to vent it. All you would see from outdoors would be a small plastic vent cover to keep out rodents.

There are screens that attach to the end of the vent but they can clog. The code say it must vent outdoors and it can be a diy project.

There is only one thing you can (should) do- pick the "right" spot and cut a hole through the wall to the outside. Then install the vent housing and hook up your vent- to the outside.
DO NOT try to vent "INSIDE"- no matter what who ever says.

If the house has brick veneer, then you must break down enough bricks to install vent, then re-brick to fit the space left. If the exterior is not brick -then it will be much easier.
Its probably best to hire this done. There are people who can do this--my mom had to do this at her new house.

Heck, you can just put a ladies nylon stocking over the outlet to catch the lint (be sure to clean frequently). . . . .but you are pumping high-humidity into the garage and that isn't good for the structure, tools, car, etc. It won't cost that much to have a handyman/appliance store/furnace installer or such install a proper tube to vent it outside the house. (most hardware/home stores sell the flexible vent tubes - very cheap - but they aren't recommended as they break easily and collect the lint in the ridges.......most codes call for a smooth metal duct).

Check the link for a good, inexpensive indoor dryer vent. It works very well tho throws off lots of heat and moisture, so you need a window or opening in the room to allow the moist air out. In a garage, it probably won't be an issue. It does an excellent job.

Back