How do I buy a cheap used SUV in Japan?

Nic

May 12, 2008
What are the visa implications if I'm a foreigner? What are the registration requirements for foreigners if any? How do I get a Japanese driver's license? How do i get a GPS system for the truck which works in English?

you are unlikely to be able to buy a cheap used SUV in japan as high registration costs for older vehicles are implemented.

Let's start with the visa implications. A visa doesn't exactly give you free reign over what your doing. The visa is only a pass to let you live and perhaps work in the country. For registration requirements, I'd say that your gonna be payin big money just as as well as extra fees. To get a Japanese drivers license you must be native Japanese or have lived in the country long enough to be considered Japanese as foreigners go. If you want a drivers license to drive internationally, apply for an international drivers license in your respective home country. You can't apply in a foriegn country. And just that could take years! It has to be passed legally that you are a good driver and haven't been in any accidents or road rage or... You get my point. You also have to take driving classes to learn forign rules of the road. (costs lots o money) For a gps system... It's not gonna be cheaper in japan. Mostly more expensive. I'd stick to buying things like that in your respective country( which I'm guessing is US) because you know exactly what your getting. If you really want to try, go to akihabara and see. That's in Tokyo. That is also known as electric town and is known for selling lots of electric gadgets and such. So all in all... A cheap suv from japan is unrealistic. You'll be paying lots of money to buy the suv and loads more to pay for other fees like registration fees and so on. It's not cheap to drive in japan. It's not cheap to live there either. If you're not totally sure you really like any of the answers here ( not just mine ) then check the us embassy website for japan. Sorry ifthis didn't help.

Back