I can't decide which martial arts to take?

Ben

May 14, 2008
I'm debating between Kajukenbo and Taekwondo. I know that if I take Kajukenbo it would be good self defense but at the same time I want to take Taekwondo because it looks fun. When it comes down to deciding which one? I'm stuck at what would be useful the most?

Another thing is that the place that offers Kajukenbo is near my house, whereas Taekwondo is far from where I live but it is near my school. Also I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken one of these two martial arts.

Thanks.

Have you visited the schools yet, watched the classes and talked to the teachers? I think that should be your next step. Not being able to see what is being taught it is very difficult for us to tell you which to take. Ask if both let you try the classes for free. The best and most fun style is no good and no fun if the teacher is not a good teacher.

I can say taekwondo is both effective and fun when taught correctly. But then again, I enjoy just about every part of martial arts. Also, is money a factor in this? Which one has the better instructor? Is one a black belt factory?

What makes one more fun than the other? And if you don't have experience in any, what makes you think one would be more fun than the other?

Hwew you go again.
When you decide to begin training in martial art you have some questions you have to answer for yourself. Are you looking for a sport to play, an art to dedicate a lifetime to, or a quick fix method of self defence? Some combination of that perhaps? Most of us are, or were all three at times. Where do your priorities lie? You have named one martial art in your question, and one fighting sport. The two are worlds apart, although they overlap in several areas, their mindset, and intent are opposite. You have to know also what is available to you. If you have Uechi-Ryu, and Bak Mei in your area, wanting to do TKD would not help you. Of the available options you must decide which one(s) interest you. Then you have to decide (take your time, it's important) which available instruction is the one for you. You can change or quit if you don't like it, but better to stay with the program right through (providing the program is a good one) for the best training. Style-hopping has in my experience cost many a martial artist their potential, so choose wisely, nobody here can tell you what to do for you. So do your homework well. Talk to instructors and students, watch classes, take 'free introductory' classes, make your decision. One more thing, good luck

Back