I have a 91 Mitsubishi Galant that doesn't like to start.?

JoshuaT

Jun 9, 2008
To start with: I cannot and will not take this car to a mechanic nor can I replace the car. I am not affluent enough for these options. I have to diagnose and repair this myself. If you have other suggestions than this please be kind and keep them to yourself. I have no other options at this time.

I have a 91 Mitsubisi galant GS Auto, 4 cyl I believe 2.0L DOHC. As the weather has gotten colder it has gotten harder to start. It did this a couple times this summer but now I constantly have to turn the key for short intervals repeatedly until the engine starts to turn over. When i give it a bit of gas, it stalls out. I have to repeatedly tap the gas pedal to rev up the engine and warm it up a bit and then I can drive it. It has always idled erratically when it's cold but even warmed up the idle is not steady. When the car warms up I get a check engine light on it. It's too old to be tested for free at autozone and a mechanic will charge the earth just to troublshoot a code, let alone locate the actual problem. I'm happy to buy the tools to test this but i'd like some ideas where to start. I have the Haynes Manual for the car but I don't know where to start looking. Thank You

Back