I have a strange question about my puppies!?

lyrecslilly

Jun 3, 2008
I have 2 male puppies and in the last couple of days I have noticed that they are mounting each other. (for lack of a better term). Is this normal? Should I allow it or stop it?

My 2 Dogs Used To Do The Same Thing But I Always Used To Stop It And I Have Noticed They Don't Do It No More .but It Is Normal For Them To Do That

I would let it go. To a human that may seem strange and 'wrong', but to puppies, they are just playing and maybe getting off on it. You can fix them if you want. It does help as male dogs will hump kids arms, and male dogs, and other dogs heads... you name it, they will hump it. It get upset other people in the park, lol.... Now some dogs are a little more calm about this, but some males are just not in control of it, they have a strong desires to get off

Raising two puppies together is not advised.

They are now in the process of packing up, or forming a pack, and the mounting behaviour is their way of working out who's in charge. It should be you.

By allowing two puppies to stay together past 7 1/2 weeks, you miss out on the chance for them to bond to humans, and they will only look to another dog for direction. Later, you will wonder why they are untrainable...

While their brains are still forming their attachment functions, you should send one out with someone else - whether or not it is a permanent home, or just a way of training them, they need to be trained and socialized individually. Otherwise, you are raising two dogs to be good candidates for the pound.

It is dominance behaviour and not sexual. If they sort it out (who is top dog) then they may do it less frequently - you can tell them to stop - you should be the top dog really!! If it leads to fights you should correct them now!

It is dominance behaviour and not sexual. If they sort it out (who is top dog) then they may do it less frequently - you can tell them to stop - you should be the top dog really!! If it leads to fights you should correct them now!

Back