I want to go on combination mule deer / elk hunt?

joda_68

Nov 3, 2008
I've looked online but the various states have lots of confusing regulations. There are a group of 6 of us, so I want to apply as a party. I am looking for a place where we can all get tags and have a reasonable chance of getting opportunities on deer and elk. I prefer mule deer, but whitetail would be ok, in a perfect world it would be an elk tag with a tag good for either mulies or whitetail. It looks like I can apply for a combo tag in Montana for just under $900, if I am reading the regs correctly, they are freeing up 5500 outfitter sponsored tags and making them general non-resident tags next year. Anybody know anything about these tags? I also checked out Utah, they have a northern unit general deer/elk tag, but I read on some forums that there really aren't many places where you can hunt both at the same time, and most of the deer habitat seems to be on private property or management units that are off-limits on that tag. I know a lot of these states have deadlines as early as January so I want to get started ASAP. The main considerations are: Ability to get tags, ability to hunt both animals at the same time, reasonable chance of some success. Anyone have any ideas?

Back