I was thinking of studying shao lin kungfu in china.....?

Mya

May 27, 2008
I feel like it would be a pretty great experience and I would do it for about 5 years?? This will probably be if like I make it out of college and can't find a job >.> BUT it seem pretty cool, however, when I finish what will I do with what I learned? I wouldnt know what to do with it and I don't want my "skills" to go to waste. I think this is more of a rant than a question haha but anyway...any suggestions/thoughts? oh and I know mandarin yaaay -__-
I was talking about how the concepts of everything is just pretty cool and enlightening....my friend comes from a family of monks in china but he said its pretty different now....

It is almost impossible to study real Shaolin Kung Fu in China. Sure there are schools just outside the Shaolin temple and the students there shave their heads and put on monks robes, but they are not monks, mostly people who aspire to be the next Jackie Chan or Jet Li.

I did meet a real Shaolin monk, and master of the iron head (it is not something you can fake, the technique builds up bone on the forehead so you look rather like a Klingon). Anyway he was living in a ruined temple on the side of a mountain.

Of course I didn't go to study Kungfu with him, rather my friend was asking for his spiritual advice and later when to study buddhism with him. (I did get to eat the vegetables he grew himself cooked by one of his students).

Unfortunately he is dead, so that is not really an option any more.

But it was in a town with one of the best places to learn Kung Fu, Foshan. This is the home of Huang Fei Hong (whose life is portrayed in once upon a time in China, Drunken Kungfu and also in a Bruce Lee movie I never saw so I forgot its name). Lots of schools there.

Back