I'm trying to cook brown rice, but it's always hard.?

NancyJ

Apr 25, 2008
Last time I cooked it I used 3-1 water / rice ratio and it was more firm than I like, but after adding slightly more water it was O.K. Today, I tried used it to make Mexican rice, browned the rice in oil, as usual, used 3-1 water / rice ratio, and the rice was crunchy. Suggestions ?

the browning is making your rice crunchy.

You have more than enough water... you may also be cooking the rice too fast where the boiling liquid isn't fully hydrating the browned brown rice. Brown rice takes about 45 minutes to cook.

You can try cooking the brown Mexican rice in the oven.
Cook as you normally would in a oven-proof pot with a lid (like a dutch oven)... Fry the rice and all. When you add the liquid, bake in a 350F oven, covered, for about 1 hour.

As mentioned, brown rice takes a lot longer than white rice to soften. In general, it takes about twice as long (so 45-55 minutes, whether it's cooked in a rice cooker, in a pot on the stove, or heated then removed from the heat, or even sauted in oil first).

I usually just use about 2 to 1 water for the brown rice in my rice cooker, but some cooking methods/etc may take a bit more.

Liquid should always be one knuckle over the rice/grain.

Stir ONE TIME during cooking.

Let sit.

Brown requires longer cooking time - low and slow. :)

Also, by placing some sort of pork fat or whatever over the rice, after most of the broth has absorbed, it becomes nice and moist w a slight crisp at the bottom of the pan.

Back