irresponsible pet owners?

Jamie

May 11, 2008
as i have mention before, i work at a humane society. well we had this one dog that was at the shelter for a year, almost, since he was a pup. he was a feral pup found in the woods. he was shy, but he was coming along nicely. he was a large dog, possibly great dane. anyway, i loved him. he got adopted out probably 2 months ago and i just found out on saturday that he had got hit and killed by a car 2-3 weeks ago. i was and still am kinda devastated. the poor thing spent almost his entire life in a cage and only enjoyed maybe a month of freedom before being hit and killed by a car. why wouldnt this person keep him in the yard? wtf is wrong with people? this same person that adopted him adopted a pitbull and had to bring him back due to aggression, which im sure they provoked him, yet im sure the humane society will continue to let him adopt out. i dont think he should be able to. is that wrong of me?

ps. if you are going to adopt a shelter animal please, PLEASE take good care of it.

I agree that they shouldnt let him adopt any more pets. He doesnt deserve any more. he does sound irresponsible and mayb hes jus using the dogs like teachin them to be mean and stuff lik that..i hate it..

Animals have an interesting way of getting out when you least expect it, so this could have just been an honest mistake. But then again, it could have been due to neglect or flippancy on the owner's part. You'll never really know, but as someone who works at the shelter, you might have the authority to write a complaint or bar this person from further adoptions. Pitbulls do have a tendency towards aggression, but this usually comes later in life unless provoked. There's really no way to know for sure, but if you feel passionate enough about it and think that there will definitely be more animals in the future put at risk by this person, I'm sure there is some way that you can take action against it, particularly since you work at the shelter.

i understand what your saying we foster cared a pitt a few years ago and his owners would always let her go and then the next door neighbors finally called my brother who worked at the place the people got honey from and told him the people that adopted her just didn't care and that he should prob come and get her so nothen happens after that we kept her pitts to some people are hard to handle but its a responsibility and a privilege to have an animal and i dont think everyone should especially if they have already shown that cant handle it

the neighbors called because honey was chaseing cars and they didnt want her to get hit

watch the news people dont care for their kids they are forgotten in hot cars they drown in family pools while mom sleeps or dad takes a business call why would these people take any better care of an animal ?

There may be more variables here than what you know at this time. Any number of things could have happened. Put yourself in the place of the people. Maybe he WAS in the yard and someone let him out by mistake and he was killed. Maybe the pit was very aggressive and had to be brought back. Maybe they have kids. etc.
You don't know all of the details but I would bet if you did you might think differently.
On the flip side you work at the humane society, why don't you enact a strike three, you're out on adopting?
Once, possible
Twice, maybe
Three, never.
I'm all for adoptions too, but there has got to be a limit.
I think most people who adopt are going to take care of the animal. But not all animals are salvageable. As you know.

Back