Is is legal to use a neighbor's wireless internet network in Massachusetts? I say

curiousme1

Sep 27, 2008
no, my friend says yes. ? If a neighbor does not have security set up, is it illegal to use the wireless network without his knowledge? I've read that the laws vary from state to state, but I don't know where to find the law for Massachusetts. Can anyone point me to the right location?

Sounds like theft of service, but if the neighbor is not taking any steps to keep people from using it, then an argument might be made that he was offering it.

It is illegal, as you are getting a service you didn't pay for. It's along the same lines as stealing cable.

Though I'm not positive I would imagine no. They are the ones transmitting the signal and they chose not to set up a network key. As long as you are not hacking into their network it should be fine.

I think of it like a sprinkler system. If their sprinkler hits your lawn I can't imagine it would be illegal to put a watering can out on your property to be filled. They set it up, it is their responsibility.

It is illegal in all states. However, if they don't have security set up, then they don't know how to check if anyone else is using it. Very stupid.

Back