Is wrestling really fake

Yeah, It's fake and i'm talking about the WWE because I use to be into that fake stuff but now it's boring to watch but I like when they bash eachother with chairs it's very entertaining when I see that.

You may notice my sig where I am paying my respects to a young wrestler who past away this weekend who is from my state of Connecticut.

Indy wrestler Dan Quirk, who wrestled under the name Spider, passed away last night after injuries occurred when executing a stunt called "the suicide dive" (a plancha I believe) in a match with David "The Hilite Kid" Cuoto in anUltimate Championship Wrestling match in Taunton, Massachusetts.

The wrestlers were in a 10-foot-by-10-foot ring about 4 feet off the ground. The ring was surrounded by three ropes. The distance from the top rope to the floor was about 8 feet, according to police.

In the suicide dive stunt, one wrestler jumps over the top rope and lands on the floor. The wrestler then turns and faces the ring as the second wrestler jumps out of the ring over the top rope, and, moving sideways through the air, is caught by the first wrestler in the chest area and they both fall the floor.

According to police, Quirk was the wrestler who jumped out and landed on the ground then prepared to catch Couto.

As Couto jumped out of the ring, he caught a foot on the top rope and he landed in Quirk's face instead of his chest, police said.

Both wrestlers hit the floor where Quirk sustained head injuries, including a fractured skull.

These moves are practiced all the time by these wrestlers.

It is incidents like these that all the nay sayers that say "Wrestling Is Fake" should really open their eyes. When a move goes wrong, the consequences can be career threatening or even fatal such as this incident.

RIP Spider

It's Real entertaining

and it's Real difficult to do.

It's also Real punishing physically, both in the good way, and in the bad way (permanent).

It's not real fighting, although that probably has happened when one or more contnders lose their professional detachment.

Sometimes it's real competition, in that the fighters decide how much to pull punches or choose displays or moves but then both, within the artificial agreement and the rules of wrestling, actually try to win. It's probably a bit like sparring in that you try genuinely but not as hard as you can, and the action of fighting benefits both fighters (in this case financially as well as training) regardless of who wins. There are probably in-betweens where someone tries harder than the agreement indicates to win, just like some artists try to 'beat' other artists in sparring.

Fake, most certainly.

But also well-choreographed. And, as KC's post shows, even the best fight choreography can go wrong. Sadly, not the first time a pro-wrestler has passed on due to entertainment-related injuries, and it probably won't be the last. One of the Hart brothers passed on a few years back from a stunt gone awry.

These people are athletes, but they also have families. And yes, some of them are collegiate and world-class winners. I guess it's one of the dangers of any job which involves fighting and/or stunt co-ordination. But this is why we discourage people from doing this at home!!!!

Depends on the wrestling. The silly stuff with chairs, tables, ring girls, etc. isn't real. The greco-roman and olympic stuff on the other hand, is certainly not fake.

Thanks for that Stan...

Yes, there was a reason why I resurected this thread.

Ay least you and BaiKaiGuy understood my message

There have only been but a few serious fatalities due to mishaps ocurring in the ring in recent years....Tony Nash died in his debut match after taking a back body suplex wrong in 2000. There have been instances of wrestlers passing out in the ring and dying (Moondog Spot died of an in ring heart attack in 2004) but that doesn't count nor does Owen Hart's.

It's truly sad to hear of a death of a wrestler following an obvious mishap let alone a wrestler so young.... "22" not being an age you die at!

Well, and your post does bring up an interesting, if not a bit off-topic, point...

What is our responsibility to the teenagers who want to do this stuff in their backyards? What about the ones who come to class and mention they're gonna teach everything they learn to their friends so thay can start a fight club? Do we have any obligation to try and set them on the straight-and-narrow and make sure they understand that doing this stuff outside of a heavily controlled situation can be dangerous?

... actually this particular young wrestler did do backyard wrestling before turning pro in 2002 ...starting his "wrestling career" with the UCW in (http://ucwentertainment.tripod.com/ )

Due to his avid interest in wrestling he turned to proper training with a trainer Bert Centano, and attended clinics with Tom Prichard, Chris Daniels, and Mike Quackenbush.

I suppose our responsibility would be to see that these teenagers get formal training

Owen Hart died not because of a wrestling move, but because of a malfunction in the entrance.
He was doing a superman stunt, his wire snapped and landed chest first.

Also recently lost Chris Candido, a really good wrestler. Broke his leg when he took a fall and caused a bood clot. Though not sure but that seemed to have happened during surgery.

On Backyard wrestling, after watching half a DVD I think its totally disgusting. Idiot blood/gore junkies who dont think of what their body is going through.

I truly hope they will be ok in later life due to the unnecessary injuries they get, but then they wont learn anything.

Oh i know, just wasn't quite sure why it was seperate to the Dan Quirk indicent - still a tragic accident in the ring.

I actually heard he neck broke when his chin hit the turnbuckle, which sounds even worse.

Back