Lone Gurkha soldier takes on 40 would-be train robbers and WINS

HANDSOME

Mar 27, 2008
First off, a bit of a backstory: in case you don't know who the Gurkha are, they are basically Nepalese soldiers who are a special part of the British Army. Back in the early 1800s they fought the British to a standstill, and the British were so impressed that they originally hired them as mercenaries but eventually they became full-fledged members of the British armed forces. The Gurkha are elite infantry soldiers who are known to have huge brass ones, and to become a Gurkha is ultra-competitive as every boy from Nepal wants to become one. Famous for their vicious kukri knife, they have had foes literally run away from them rather than face them in battle many times.

Cut to September 2, 2010. A recent retiree of the Gurkha, Naik (Corporal) Bishnu Shrestha was riding on a train through the jungles of West Bengal heading home to start a new life for himself. Around midnight, the train ground to a halt and several passengers on board drew an array of weapons and announced that they were robbing the train (knives, swords, guns, you name it). Several more robbers entered the train from outside for an estimated total of 40, and began shaking down everyone in the train for all their valuables.

Bishnu Shrestha played it cool and gave them his wallet, as he said he knew it wasn't worth dying over at the time. Then all the robbers nearby decided to have some "fun" with the young girl sitting near Shrestha, and started cutting off her clothes. Unfortunately for the robbers, Shrestha decided he had seen enough. Also unfortunately for the robbers, they overlooked one main thing when they robbed Shrestha: his kukri.

Drawing his knife, Shrestha managed to take control of the would-be rapist and cut down him and all the robbers around him, according to the news report. He managed to kill 3 robbers and seriously wound 8, despite being seriously injured in his left hand by a sword. The rest of the robbers, obviously a tad frightened seeing a ticked-off Gurkha covered in blood waving a kukri knife, wisely beat feet.

For his heroism and being an ultra-bad dude, Bishnu Shrestha was temporarily reinstated back into the Gurkha to get promoted and awarded two medals for bravery. It took about 2 months in the hospital for him to recover. He also received some benefits from the Indian government, but turned down the reward money the parents of the girl he saved. When asked why he did it, Shrestha responded: "Fighting the enemy in battle is my duty as a soldier. Taking on the thugs on the train was my duty as a human being."

Bishnu Shrestha himself:

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=27100

Is this for real? Cool story either way, but it's pretty amazing if it's true.

40 to 1 is such a mismatch... It just goes to show how how strong a motivator fear can be.

Yes this was an awesome story. I'm glad Kuma took the time to put it up in it's own thread!

I've worked with many of the Gurkha's here in Hong Kong. Tons work in the security industry and they are a tough lot. I'm not surprised by this story at all. Some of the worlds best professional soldiers.

Of course it's true. Check the previous link. Here's another:

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=India+to+honour+Pokhara+youth+for+chivalry&NewsID=272686

I agree. I had the pleasure to shoot the breeze with two Gurkha over in Iraq. Great guys, tough soldiers, amazing warriors.

On an unrelated note, I would love to get a kukri.

Yes most have a really interesting take on life. They see it as their duty to look out for their fellow man. Something that is not always extant in our world much.

As for the Kukri... I've got several... the best on though was one I picked up in a market in Darjeeling. It didn't cost me a whole lot. They do make some amazing ones for sale through bigger knife manufacturers... and you could always go to the next level and get one done up by a custom knifesmith. I've always wanted one with a damask blade.

Bishnu Shrestha's quote at the end seems especially appropriate then.

I'm a bit of a knife collector, so I may start looking around. Have you ever seen any of their knifework? I can't see it being too different from anything else out there.

Question...

I've seen those knives before and I never understood why they were shaped like that. Does the shape serve a purpose (I assume it does) and if it does what is it?

The history's murky, but there's a theory that the reason why it's like that is because they were inspired by Alexander the Great's troops who carried the kopis. They look darn near identical, so I'd say that's probably why.

It's used more for cutting than stabbing, a lot like a machete, and supposedly the way the blade is gives it more power for cutting due to the heavier end. I'm no knife guru though.

Awesome...chalk one up for the good guy's!

EDIT: Sounds like Corporal Bishnu Shrestha will be enjoying his retirement...I understand the Gurkha have exceptional tracking abilities.

EDIT #2: “ If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha." - Former Chief of staff of the Indian Army, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

From the small amount of reading I’ve done about the kukri (i really want one)
the modern ones made by big manufacturers and Nepalese kukris are a totally different kettle of fish, so I guess it depends on what you want it for.

Great story, and thanks for posting kuma

The motivator was not fear, it was duty.

And I agree 40 to 1 is a mismatch. The thugs should have brought more guys...

The ones that I've picked up along the way in India and in Nepal are very much everyday work tools - though you can buy both very refined blades with good finishes and high quality craftsmanship (particularly made by the Newar caste people) and there is also tons of crap tourist stuff out there as well so as souvenirs.

The work-a-day kukri often doubles as a hammer (on the hilt end and the non edge side of the blade)... they are not kept in the near pristine condition that you see knives in the west in collections kept. A bit of oil to ward off rust and kept razor sharp with a wet stone and that's about it. They are very much an everyday work tool wielded by farmers and the like. The two most recent ones I've bought have both been in markets in little village out of Kalempong - both being sold to locals as simple work tools. It's not in many ways much more than a piece of sharp metal. They're not even expensive by Nepali standards.

The ones that I've seen in the west made by proper knifesmiths are refined and perfectly weighted and usually a fair bit lighter than the ones I've picked up in the Himalayas. You could still use them as a work tool I suppose... but man it'd be a pretty penny for an all around tool. I certainly wouldn't want to go banging on anything with my tempered Damascus finish blade. The materials for the grip etc are often more elaborate or modern... polycarbonate grips or rubberized etc.

Below is an example of a nice piece... this is the type you will rarely if ever find in Nepal or India and is totally not a service issue type weapon. However it is stunning.

It's really worth noting is that it's not the knife that makes the Gurkha. They'd just as soon charge in barefisted or reach over and smash away with an ashtray... so the kukri while being very recognizable isn't responsible for the mindset. The Gurkha mindset is very much tied up with the whole macho influence in Nepali and Indo-Tibetan culture. They are just an out and out tough lot. Most of are on the shorter side with low center of gravity and they have larger lung cavities than other people primarily if they're born at altitude. They are expected to behave like a man at all times. They don't go in for metrosexuality much. They often live for long periods away from their families while the work. Their society is very closed off to the rest of the world and their is a confusing myriad of castes and clans. Even their castes have castes. You will very, very rarely ever see a Nepali married to a non-Nepali. Even more so for Gurhka's. Would you want to be the one having to show up at the home of a Gurkha soldier to explain your intentions with his daughter. I have and I can tell you... you are opening a can of worms that you never can get out of. Nightmare. Despite all my misgivings about trying to date across cultural boundaries - especially this one... I have a lot of respect for most Gurkhas. Hardworking and stoic to a crazy degree. A very good standard to try and live up to. There culture and the remote locations in which they live and by and large the poverty that most of them come from is the reason why they are as tough as they. Self reliant and respectful of others... we have a saying... and it goes for Gurkhas and similar castes... (Manange, Chetri, Limbu, Rai, Tamang, Newar, Tibetan, Khampa, Bhutanese etc.) - they are either your best friend and fighting side by side with you or they are pounding your face in... they dont' do much fence sitting.

Well put. This is exactly why the Indian army itself has huge regiments of Gurkhas in their armies.

There are sometimes Gurkha's doing stationary cycle rides for charity in my local supermarkets/stores etc.
They always get some coin in the bucket from me.

What a great story to start the week with. It was truly inspiring.

Thanks to the OP for the story and to Slip for added perspective plus the picture.

Cheers gents....

I was wondering, do you know how this relates to being a solider in their chosen army? Do they have a general view on why they are soldiers in their chosen army?

Back