mans greatest invention?

phillipk_1959

Apr 15, 2008
this could be an old thread or in the wrong place so let me know if it is.
although i rarely show it im a fairly intelligent kid and i was wondering what you thought mankinds greatest invention was? I'm going to say I think its the written word. simply because without it we would know a lot less and because most of the things that find deep and meeningful, somewhat touching, (yes im a sensitive soul at heart) have been things written: my main example at the moment is the old "remember them" poem recited during rememberance day. I heard it at the funeral of someone in my cousins platoon and flet it had a lot of meaning deeper than most things ive heard. so thats what i reckon. you?

nope. one of the great things about my family, i have to do nothing. i still do though, gives my mum a break.i have to say though, bacon and mars bars arnt quite what id call philosophy.

You invented your wife?

Man that explains a whole lot!

Man's greatest invention: I like the OP's reasoned declaration but I think I will have to go w/ the microchip. REASON: Other then telephone, nothing has been so great at transporting information and, eventually, connecting cultures....

Toilet paper. I'm perfectly serious.

Think about it. We split the atom and we use that to blow up cities. We invent rockets and use them for pretty much the same thing. The combustion engine? Tanks. Powered flight? Fighter/bombers. Not to mention things like chemical and biological weapons. Mankind seems to turn everything we get our hands on into weapons of war.

But not toilet paper.

Aside from some Halloween fun, it's a completely harmless, totally benificial invention. And anyone who's ever gone without it knows that words can't express how much you miss it when it's not there. Alright, so it isn't that Earth-shattering an invention, but it's the one I think I'd miss the most if it suddenly disappeared.

Outside of that, the written word, I suppose.

This isn't a joke.

The greatest inventions were the blade and the basket.

Without the blade we can't do anything. With it we can make all the other tools. The knife let us do things like cut, scrape, carve and skin, things that our bodies just can't do. It let us develop our brains. In fact, there's good evidence that the changes in our hands that came soon after tool using preceeded important changes in the size and structures of our brains. The knife made everything from hunting to agriculture possible.

The basket or the bag let us carry stuff around. We could gather more than we could use or eat immediately and let us store things up. Even a little surplus lets you plan for the future.

Back