My 01 jeep grand cherokee laredo has 160000 on the transmission just

hulk

Jun 11, 2008
started hesitating from 1st to 2nd? what can i do to fix this problem. Any suggestions I love my jeep this is the first major problem with it. I don't want to get rid of it......

it could be your transmission beginning to slip. You can try changing your transmission fluid. Do a fluid exchange. Don't do any kind of flush. I would add a bottle of Lucas transmission lubricant. I've heard people had good luck with Lucas. If this does not work, the next step is have a transmission shop look at it.

Get a trans. flush. if that doesn't work you'll probably need a new trans.

Go to a mechanic shop and ask for a trans flush with a new filter. $150-$200 roughly. Hopefully this will put off having to rebuild your trans. The sad truth is that while the 5.2L and the 4.0L engines are remarkable the trans will usually need some work between 130-160k miles. To rebuild the trans will be somewhere around $1200-$1600. Although this sounds awful, once you have that done (I'm assuming you have all the req'd maintenance done periodically) you can drive it for another 160k miles. Good Luck!

Back