My mini dachshund regularly digs at his butt and I can't understand how to stop it?

KoryJ

Dec 14, 2008
I have two miniature daschunds, one is about 18 months old and the other is roughly 14 months so both are young still.

One of them has this on going issue where a few times a week I'll notice him digging (or attempting to) in his butt with his mouth (trying to clean himself) but upon further examination, it's because he's having some type of clear pus discharge. I normally don't see it but if you get close enough during a case of it happening, it smells really bad.

We have both dogs on care plans at Banfield Pet Hospital and have since we got them and they are both up to date on their checkups and maintain a eating/drinking every day and have regularly bowel movements without a doubt so there isn't anything irregular about them.

I've brought this up to the vet the last few times we've visited them and both times they charged me to express their anal glands which shows nothing out of the normal but yet it keeps happening and I have no idea why. I now express both of their glands myself from home and typically get a small amount of discharge from both of them but nothing extravagant.

I'm just at a loss as to what to do now between the vet not saying anything to be worried about but it keeps happening and it appears that when it happens, the pup is clearly in discomfort and I wish I could stop it but I just have no idea what to do....

Does anybody have any ideas that have perhaps experienced this before?? I know it's gross but it's an issue and I'm hoping to find a fix to this here being that I've gotten no where with the vet really.

Thanks.

Back