Satellite TV Apartment complex wants to charge a $200 fee?

Racer20

Aug 17, 2008
In the complex I live they have cable TV. I dislike cable because they constantly raise the charges. So over a year ago I had Direct Tv installed after the government said they could not restrict it. Now the complex wants to charge a $200 fee for having the satellite. Are they allowed to just makeup charges. Last year they started charging me one person $22 a month for water. Yet they have a sprinkler system that sprays water across the road in front of the complex. I have been at this complex for six years and the ownership has changed three times.
My question is can they charge me for having a satellite dish. I would say it is a non refundable charge.
My satellite dish is completely not visible to anyone except me. I live on the first floor and have tall bushes growing in front and on the sides. The only way the dish is visible is to come onto my patio.
Do apartment complexes get a kick back from the cable company?
The satellite dish is mounted on a pole that is clamped to the railing, so there is no damage and you can't even see the dish unless on the patio or looking down from the balcony above.

It depends on the tenant land lord laws of your state. You need to talk to a real estate attorney in your area. Charging rent for the dish sounds a little unreasonable.

Generally speaking though, they can charge for the cost of filling the holes and repainting where the dish was mounted, and they can make reasonable requirements like the dish must be placed where it won't obstruct another tenants view, or detract from the marketability of the other apartments.

Back