should I argue the restocking fee for returning my item?

CandySees

Nov 6, 2011
I bought a $200 camera at best buy yesterday. There was no model available to play with, so I took the sale guy's advice that it was good. Played with it today and EVERY time I move the camera, it takes about 3 seconds to focus. I don't want to watch 3 seconds of blurry focus every time I move it. and I don't wan't to pay $30 to have it restocked. In my opinion, it's a defective item...it isn't that I'm changing my mind. Is it work speaking to the manager? I'm going to buy a camcorder nearly twice as expensive from them if the do let me.
I meant to say CAMCORDER, it's not a camera

Tricky question - 3 seconds to refocus might not be unreasonable for a $200 camcorder (we don't know the specifics). Claiming the camcorder's defective isn't helpful, and claiming you were badly advised is only going to work if your requirements, as explained by you, made it obvious that a 3 second focusing delay wasn't acceptable. Rather than set up a confrontation I'd just explain that I'd like to replace the camcorder with a better (and more expensive) one and then talk to the manager if they still insisted on the restocking fee. Any manager worthy of the name would waive it rather than lose a $400 sale.

Just before you hand back that camcorder, the fuzzy when you move problem is caused by the Auto or Easy function on the camcorder. Read the manual and see if there is any way to shoot in manual mode. That will stop this effect from happening.

Focus tip - set camcorder on a tripod or firm surface. Turn the Easy or Auto function on your camcorder off, turn your camcorder on. Find something far away (I use a Post it Note, on far wall above light switch, You could maybe use a car a license plate, parked a block away, if your outdoors) then zoom in on this object, all the way. Focus your camcorder on this object. Now return you camcorder to normal zoom, show the big picture. Now, if you do not turn the camcorder off or touch the focus controls, it will be in focus from the distance away your focus object was to the camcorder lens, at any zoom ( say your focus object was 15 feet, everything up to 15 feet will be in focus, anything beyond that 15 feet is not.)

Back