Should I buy a Mazda 3i and sacrifice budget?

AaronS

May 22, 2008
I have the opportunity to purchase a Mazda 3i for $7, 000 if I finance. Basically, I was looking to purchase a used car for around the $3, 000 range, but I've been expanding my budget as a lot of cars in this range are junk. I can find cars that will suit my needs for around $5, 000. The car is in great shape and is being sold by a certified toyota dealership. Basically, I can't tell if it's such a great deal that I should jump on it and sacrifice my budget (I can afford to finance, but it sets back me getting the Macbook Pro for several months) or if I should just let it go and find something that might be a little less attractive. The Mazda 3i has 58k miles on it and is in great condition.
Here's a bit of a clearer break down:

2005 Mazda 3i for $7, 000 w/ 58k miles (blue book price is around $9k for private and $12k for retail). Or get something like a 2005 Hyundai Sonata with 86k miles for $5, 450 .. maybe a little less. Not as great of deal, but definitely more in my price range.

The Mazda3 is a great vehicle. $7,000 for 58,000 miles is a reasonable offer. You can probably negotiate and knock that down $500 or ask them to give you an extended warranty. The dealership probably gives you some kind of 30-90 day warranty but you'll want something that covers you for 2-3 years or up to 100,000 miles.

I would also request to take the car to a certified Mazda technician (at a dealership) pay their $100 diagnostic fee to ensure that what you're getting is not junk. Carfax is a must.

You are better off spending a few extra on a reliable, newer car, rather than buying a $3,000 junker that will end up in the shop next month. Then you'll really be set back from buying that Macbook.

Back