Showdown, Week 32: Charl Schwartzel vs. Rory McIlroy

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
showdown_week_charl_schwartzel_vs_rory_mcilroy.jpg
So in an attempt to inject a bit more life and interest into tournaments, and because we're both inveterate gamblers who are one bad card from being out on the streets, Jay Busbee and I are playing a golf version of a football suicide pool: We each pick one golfer per tournament and see how they do against each other, straight up. Victory over the other guy gets one point, victory in the tournament gets three points. (Double for the majors.) And when we burn a golfer, he's done for the year. It's glory's last shot this week at the PGA Championship.

Busbee: Looking over my list of "already used" players below, I'm seeing a lot of guys who would be good bets this year at the PGA: Luke Donald, Steve Stricker, Zach Johnson, Rory McIlroy... poor planning, that. So I'm going to go with a guy who wasn't even on our radar this time in March: Charl Schwartzel. He's played outstanding golf in addition to those memorable four holes in Augusta, and I'm thinking he's primed to keep rolling in this, the season's final major. And I'm saving Tiger Woods for ... well, I don't know when, exactly. Schwartzel it is.

Bacon: I hope you don't mind me taking one of his playing companions for the first two days in Rory McIlroy. Why? Because he's finished tied for third at this event the two times he's played the PGA Championship, he's won a major championship already this season, and I've been saving him to use here all year long. You know what Rory loves? American golf. Done and done.

Last week: Busbee's pick of Bo Van Pelt finished 2-under, while Bacon's pick of Gary Woodland finished 2 as well ... but 2-over. Busbee gets the needed point.

Current standings: Bacon 21, Busbee 19.

Already Used: Busbee: Ernie Els, Steve Stricker, Chad Campbell, Bill Haas, Nick Watney, Tim Clark, Hunter Mahan, Graeme McDowell, Brian Gay, Matt Kuchar, KJ Choi, Webb Simpson, Jhonattan Vegas, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Jim Furyk, Luke Donald, Anthony Kim, Ben Crane, Zach Johnson, Sean O'Hair, Kenny Perry, David Toms, Lee Westwood, Spencer Levin, Gary Woodland, Jason Day, Rory McIlroy, Lucas Glover, Sergio Garcia.
Bacon: Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Steve Marino, Ben Crane, Jhonattan Vegas, Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Ian Poulter, Graeme McDowell, Nick Watney, Padraig Harrington, Tiger Woods, Spencer Levin, Anthony Kim, Angel Cabrera, Aaron Baddeley, Pat Perez, Justin Rose, Adam Scott, David Toms, Rory Sabbatini, Chez Reavie, Jonathan Byrd, Phil Mickelson, Webb Simpson, K.J. Choi, Steve Stricker, Luke Donald, Charl Schwartzel, Jeff Overton.

Back