Small fish needs to be bigger. Help please!?

MrKage

Mar 23, 2009
I have a ninety litre tank with two sucking loaches [Pain and Panic] (been in the tank for just over a year and have lived happily with the others) three golden apple snails [The Monty Brothers], two species of goldfish which I can't identify (one is a chocolate coloured fish with a very flat horizontal tail, egg-ish shaped [Settledown]. The other is very oval in shape, bright orange and the tail curves outwards in a C shape [Mr Happy]) and two black moors [Cheerup and Dontdoit]. I hand feed them twice one day and once the following day. The tank has a heater that will only warm the water to about 21C.

The two largest fish are Dontdoit and Mr Happy and are about 3 inches in length, Pain and Panic are just over a half inch in length and The Monty Brothers are about 2cm in length. Settledown is just shy of 2 inches and Cheerup is about the size of the loaches.

The three large goldfish are quite competitive for food but Cheerup doesn't seem to be interested. I've tried separate feeding which hasn't worked, sinking pellets which yielded the same result. I know he must be eating because they've all been in the tank for just over a year but I'm a bit concerned as he hasn't really grown as much as Dontdoit has in size in the year and doesn't seem to be interested in feeding as much as the others.

Am I wrong to be concerned and is there a more surefire way of increasing the size of the little guy?

Well not to be mean but your quite overstocked. The heat is fine because as long as its warm enough for your loaches (there tropical). 1 goldfish needs 20 gallons to itself and cleary you have 4. I would suggest you upgrading to a 30 gallon long atleast, which may help your goldfish feel more comfortable. It is probably stressed from overcrowding and is also at the bottom of the foodchain, or hes just weird. As long as hes lived 1 year i wouldnt worry about too much, because obviously hes eating something. I would mainly worry about housing the fish in the future.

Back