stereo installation problems on an oldsmobile?

santino1932

Jul 2, 2008
im installing my car radio into an oldsmobile 1998 bravada. ok its a sony gt520 cd player. i got it from best buy and they made sure it fits my vehicle. so i also had to buy the wire harness and antenna adapter. now the installation kit i got from best buy is the metra dash kit its the right one cause i had them look it up before they sold it to me. the kit number is (at-555,aw-555, 99-2003) for what ever reason its for gm and suzuki its says its a multi kit. so anyway i put the dash kit in to make sure it fits and it does. so i follow the instructions and everything went in fine. but the kit has two sets of side brackets and neither fit my radio. from what it looks like it has a double din head unit provision which looks like it would be for a larger radio and won't fit mine. the other is an iso head unit provision which is more what would be for my stereo. in any case neither bracket will fit on the sides of my radio like it shows in the instruction manuel. i guess my question would be do i even need to use these brackets are they necessary cause they basically look like they serve no purpose. or are they just extras to use with different types of car stereos cause everything else fits and goes together except those brackets. thanks for any good answers.
also i bought a wire harness from autozone cause bestbuy was out. its for my yr make and model but it doesnt look like it will connect to the cars harness. the wire harness is from the same manu as the dash kit its also a metra. any help will be welcome thnx everyone

The ISO brackets aren't made to be used with the sleeve that is provided with the head unit. If you're using the sleeve, you don't have to worry about it. This is actually the better way, in my opinion.

As for the harness adapter, the regular factory stereo uses a 70-2001 harness adapter. It's a 32 pin design that GM went to in 1994, according to the metra web site. But, I'm not sure if it is correct. Scosche sells one that I think is correct. You can find it here. http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/262 and here, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1863068&findingMethod=rr

If you have the Delco/Bose system you will need a Special adapter to bypass the factory amplifier. It is metra catalog number 70-2054.

Back