Strange Internet Problem?

Kevinwantsanswers

Mar 25, 2009
This morning my internet was working fine. The modem had all the lights working and my router was up and running. I was surfing away on the internet. I went to school and came back a few hours later and my dad told me our internet was down. He told me it hadn't been working for an hour.

The modem had the power light on, receive light was on, send light was on, and the pc/activity light was on. However, the Online light was off. When the online light was off in the past it would mean that it was a problem with our internet provider.

So, I called in and asked if there were any problems on their end and they said it shows everything working fine. Then I explained that the online light was off and we weren't able to get online. They told us to unplug the modem wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Well after trying everything they said it still didn't work. They told me they would send someone over and charge $35 to check it out. I thanked them for their help and declined their offer.

About 10 minutes later the online light came on and everything was working fine. I could get online and it worked fine for another 4 hours and then the online light turned off again and was down for another hour until it finally came back just now.

My question is: Does anyone know why my internet is acting this way?

I'm thinking bad modem.

Opinion:
I've seen many electonic devices go out because they are plug in directly to the wall. NO SURGE PROTECTOR!

Back