Sweet potato soup recipe?

ANONYMOUS

May 11, 2008
I was under the impression that the recipe requires a red sweet potato (what we generally refer to incorrectly as a yam), but the grocery delivery supplied me with a light sweet potato-the crumbly when cooked and not red or orange at all kind.

I assume I shouldn't use that one in my recipe and should instead grab the reddish kind, yes?

Thanks!

1 med. onion, coarsely chopped
2 med. sweet potatoes (approximately 1 1/4 lbs.), peeled and diced
4 tsp. (2 packets) instant vegetable broth such as MBT, dissolved in 4 cups
boiling water, or homemade vegetable stock
About 3/4 cup half and half
Freshly ground nutmeg
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
About 1 tsp. lemon juice

Place the onion, potatoes and vegetable broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook slowly, until the potatoes are tender, approximately 25 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree until smooth, in batches, in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan, add the half and half and heat through. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Adjust the consistency with more half and half as desired.
Serving suggestions: Follow the Broiled Red Snapper with Pine Nut Coating, Fillet of Grey Sole en Papillote, Steamed Salmon with Tomato Sauce and Julienne Vegetables, Spinach Strudel, Linguine with Mushroom Sauce, Penne with Mushroom Sauce or Potato Cheese Piroshki.

Red sweet potato has a better flavour for soup, but it's still good. I like spicy food, so make this soup with onion, garlic, red chilli, fresh ginger, turmeric, coconut milk and fresh coriander ( cilantro), and add carrot or pumpkin, and possibly red lentils, for colour, flavour and body.

The kind of sweet potato you have is better baked whole with toppings like cheese ( goats cheese is great), houmous, sour cream, guacamole etc, or wedged and baked, as it's floury and ends up crispy- and you can sprinkle with spices or herbs- rosemary, garlic, sage, thyme, fajita or curry powder.Lovely with a meat or veg chilli.. It also makes a lovely mash like potato, that is great on a pie or to go with fish.

Back