Tenuous links

OneSlyDog

Feb 29, 2008
A new game to play. The rules are simple. We choose a topic and the aim is to link things in the most tenuous yet creative way possible.

Let's make the topic music/bands. I start by naming a band/artist/song and then you have to link them to another band/artist/song as tenuously as possible. Whichever band/artist/song you link to becomes the next in the chain. No repeating the same band etc!

An extra rule: There'll be some cross-posting in the thread. When that happens choose one or the other

So, I'll start off with that classic band Cream.

Cream had a member called Ginger Baker. Ginger Baker shares a last name with Cheryl Baker. Cheryl Baker was in...

Bucks Fizz!

Bucks Fizz shares the first half of its name with the shortened name of an English county, which is the home of Nick Beggs, who was in the band Kajagoogoo, famous for their hit Too Shy!

Gary Newman's hit, 'cars', was used by Bill Bailey when he did a medley of songs in a West Country accent. In the same show (and even the same section) he did an impression of what it would sound like if Chris De Burgh covered a song by...

The Wurzels

The Wurzels are from the West country, so am I. My friend once rang me up while he was having a drink with Slash from Guns 'n' Roses

Guns 'n' Roses are made up of two bands. New York Guns and Hollywood Rose.

New York New York was sung By Frank Sinatra.

Frank Sinatra sang about New York. NY was named after York, a town in the north of England, which spawned the band Shed Seven

Shed Seven shares the number seven in it's name, which is my favourite number, and also happens to be in the song "Seven Nation Army", by the The White Stripes.

I thought it was Gary Numan?

Shed Seven are a band based on an unstable four walled structure. Crowded House are another structure name based band...

GRRR

Crowded House shares half it's name with the name of the brilliant song by the power pop band Madness 'Our House' that was in the middle of their street.

MC Hammer was also famous for proclaiming when it was or wasn't hammer time. Hammer time can be taken to mean a time you should fix things with the help of a hammer (which counts as all times and all problems, btw). A song famous for being asked the question 'can we fix it' and proclaiming triumphantly that 'yes we can!' Is the theme tune sang by Bob the Builder/Neil Morrissey

Neil Morrissey was in Men behaving badly. Some men who behaved badly include the drummers Keith Moon and John Bonham. John Bonham was in a band with Robert Plant. Robert Plant did a song called "big log". A big log was what Elvis was trying to shift when he died.

Brad Paisley shares a name with the late great Liverpool FC manager Bob Paisley. Sadly Liverpool hasn't produced any music or musicians of note but scousers are famous for their "legendary" sense of humour. For some reason. A good sense of humour is something you might claim to have when you write an entry on a dating site or lonely hearts column. A loneley hearts column might appear in a local newspaper, which might also inlcude the weeks television listings. On a television you might end up watching a programme that's "The top 100 of a thing ever" where people come on and pretend to have a long standing opinion on a thing they first saw 5 minutes earlier. Such people are sometimes called "Talking Heads".

Bravo!

Talking heads were on a road to nowhere for some time. It would stand to reason that if you are on a road to nowhere, at some point you would reach nowhere, and it would be barren. Like a desert. If they were on a road to nowhere for so long it could be because they didn't have any transport. However, popular culture says that when they reach the end of the road to nowhere, and get to the desert, they will find and be able to ride a horse with no name. Coincidentally, this is a song written and performed by America

America is a country, over there somewhere, that was invented in about 1925. 1, 9, 2 and 5 are what we call numbers and they were used by the Count on Seseme street when he wanted to count things. The count was a vampire. Vampires drink the blood of virgins. Madonna was "like a virgin" at one point. Madonna's "Like a virgin" was used in a conversation in the film Reservoir Dogs. Dogs are domesticated wolves we have turned into pets. You might buy a pet from 2 male members of staff at a pet shop. They could be described as "Pet Shop boys".

*Loving this thread...can you tell?*

Back