the missing dollar riddle?

Tony

May 13, 2008
three guys go to a hotel,the desk clerk says it will be 30.00 dollars,they each pay with 10.00 dollars,later the clerk remembers that the room was only 25.00,so he sends the bell hop up to the room with five dollars,he thinks for a moment on the way up,and says to himself,how can i split five dollars between three people,so he puts two dollars in his pocket,and gives the three guys a dollar back,ok,they each payed 9.00 dollars now,so three times 9 = 27,and the two in his pocket= 29,where did the other dollar go

the question should be where did the extra 2 dollars come from.

effectively each man gave him $9 so $27 from all three, he spent $25 on the tv so there are $2 dollars remaining in his pocket.

Instead of taking away the $2 in his pocket to make 25 that used to buy the room the riddle tricks you ito adding $2 i an attempt to make 30. The trick is that those $2 you add come from nowhere since they are included in the original $27 dollars he receives. In other words the $2 change was not his own money but given to him by the three men when they gave him the $30 in the beginning so even after taking away the $1 each man received back the $2 was still given to him.
This means you shouldn't be adding $2 to the $27 since it was already included. Re-read that if you didn't get it its the most important part.

Basically you shouldn't be trying to make 30 in the first place since he only received $27 from them (effectively) and not 30 if you want the original amount then add the $1 he gave back to each man.

ok...wait....
you said the 3 guys a dollar back...so really, they only paid 26$ anyway. but u said 27, so i'll work with that.

man, this is hard.

when he thought for a moment

1moment=1 dollar

if thats not it i dont know were the fix is to this question

the question should be where did the extra 2 dollars come from.

effectively each man gave him $9 so $27 from all three, he spent $25 on the tv so there are $2 dollars remaining in his pocket.

Instead of taking away the $2 in his pocket to make 25 that used to buy the room the riddle tricks you ito adding $2 i an attempt to make 30. The trick is that those $2 you add come from nowhere since they are included in the original $27 dollars he receives. In other words the $2 change was not his own money but given to him by the three men when they gave him the $30 in the beginning so even after taking away the $1 each man received back the $2 was still given to him.
This means you shouldn't be adding $2 to the $27 since it was already included. Re-read that if you didn't get it its the most important part.

Basically you shouldn't be trying to make 30 in the first place since he only received $27 from them (effectively) and not 30 if you want the original amount then add the $1 he gave back to each man.

Back