Touring Europe and visiting London, what hoods should I avoid (if any)?

James

May 13, 2008
I've heard some bad things about the following areas: Tottenham, Brixton, Peckham, Hackney, North Croydon, Mitcham, Walworth, East Edmonton and Lewisham. If you know anything about these areas please provide info. From what I know, these have widespread poverty, high violent crime rates, and high percentages of Black British people. These seem to be very similar to the "hoods" or "ghettos" in the USA, like Harlem, South Bronx, Jamaica, Brownsville, Morissania, Bed Stuy and Lexington in NYC.

In the USA it is very easy to avoid "hoods" and "ghettos" due to heavy wealth segregation. However, I've heard from some Brits that in the UK the poor and rich are spread out fairly evenly and live very near one another.

Any more info on these places in London, how they compare to US equivalents and how easy they are to avoid?

avoid the east, don't dress like a muppet and you'll be fine. lived in Haringey, Tottenham, brixton, and manor house myself and tbh you've got nothing to worry about as long as your not bringing unwanted attention to yourself or acting like a dickhead.

There isn't really tourist attractions in that area.

Most trouble is between the local black people.

Back