Trouble with 1973 Toyota Celica?

ZaineMorgan

Dec 12, 2010
Hey, I have a Toyota Celica 1973.
It was reconditioned 10 years ago and all of a sudden the cooling system in the car seems to have gone bad. I replaced the water pump and hoses but the problem persists, the car is now not drivable.

I am not too mechanically minded so i was wondering if i could get some help and maybe an estimate on how much it would cost to fix this problem.

Thank you so much for your help.

You may be looking at the wrong place for the problem! If the timing is off the engine may run hot. If there is a vacuum leak it will run hot. The engine may need a cooling system flush. The thermostat may need replaced.
You need to pull the plugs and check them to see if they are showing evidence of over heating.
Check the valve clearances too.
If you can not do it yourself, find some one who can give your car an old fashion tune up. Which should include valve lash adjustment. The odds are that the dealers will not have any one who knows how to work on it, nor many chain service places. You are going to have to find an old school mechanic or learn yourself.

You may be looking at the wrong place for the problem! If the timing is off the engine may run hot. If there is a vacuum leak it will run hot. The engine may need a cooling system flush. The thermostat may need replaced.
You need to pull the plugs and check them to see if they are showing evidence of over heating.
Check the valve clearances too.
If you can not do it yourself, find some one who can give your car an old fashion tune up. Which should include valve lash adjustment. The odds are that the dealers will not have any one who knows how to work on it, nor many chain service places. You are going to have to find an old school mechanic or learn yourself.

If it has the 20R motor they have a common problem with the timing chain wearing through the front housing and into the cooling system, hows the oil look?

What is the problem, is it no heat inside, is it engine overheating, is there a transference
of fluids... these earlier cars had a problem with the head gasket failing between #3 & 4 cyl.
and pumping pressure into the cooling system. The later will require some major engine
work..

Back